Finishing Basement Walls: Drywall Backer Required with Planking ?

I'm tring to decide what to use for my basement walls. I have everything framed up with 2x4's, added insulation and installed a vapor barrier. I'm considering the following options (cheapest options first):

painted drywall paneling over unfinished drywall PGM Wood Products wood planking (directly to the studs) pine or cedar (most likely pine)

I like the idea of wood planking because it's easy to work with and do a little at a time but I've seen some manufacturers don't recommend it be applied directly to studs (and that a drywall backer should be used). Is that really necessary? If I have to have a drywall backer, I think I might just do paneling over it or (if I can't find a paneling I like) or just paint it.

Any feedback you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

the reason they recommend drywall behing panelling is to provide a fire separation. in a concrete basement, it probably isn't necessary on the walls, though it seems like a good idea for your basement ceiling.

Reply to
marson

The manufacturer of teh planks mentioned the following:

"We recommend that you do not install directly over studs to avoid bowing."

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

Just a bump...anyone....anyone?

Reply to
kevharper

Some mfgs recommend paneling over drywall because of the really cheap and flexi nature of the paneling. If it were me I would just drywall and paint. If fact thats what I'm doing!

Reply to
No