Finding pipe behind wall

We have an upstairs bathroom complete with shower, toilet and basin. I'm trying to find where the drain(s) goes, i.e. where does it run inside the wall on the ground floor. I've tried running the basin to see if I can hear anything but no luck. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Wells

Flushing a lit M-80 should do the trick.

Reply to
Matt

PLONK!

Reply to
Sam O'Nella

If the house is older, or if you know that the drains are metallic, use a cheapo metal detector. Even a toy will work. Takes a bit of practice as you may pick up heating ducts, other pipes, or even foil-backed wallpaper.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Some people have no sense of humor.

Reply to
Kathy

I think we are going to be great friends, Kath.

Reply to
Matt

You might try taking the trap off of the basin and run a steel plumber's or electrician's tape down the drain line. If you can get it around the corner where it dumps into the toilet drain you can flop it around inside the pipe and should be able to hear it in the wall.

If it is really important you could hire a plumber to use a locator if it is cast iron he would just hook a sender lead to the pipe and would have no problem locating it in the wall. If it is plastic he would run a tape down it and then do the same thing.

CR

Reply to
CR

you can start by locating the vent stack going through the roof.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Not necessarily all that much help. Perhaps because a) I have a hip roof, or b) the guys who built my house were idiots, my vent stacks snake way off of vertical. In this instance it is likely the former in order to get enough vertical rise, however there is ample evidence elsewhere to support the latter.

Reply to
Kevin

Oh, lighten up. It was worth a chuckle.

Reply to
Kevin

get a portable radio turn it on place it over the stack on the roof go inside your house take a vacuum cleaner hose or a paper towel tube and place it on the wall until you find the loudest commercials about stuff you don't need or want.

if you don't want to go on the roof you could do the reverse and put the radio in the sink but you will first have to clear the water out of the trap so the sound will get through place a bath towel over the radio in the sink

if you have a spare pers>> you can start by locating the vent stack going through the roof. >>

Reply to
john

its the best advice offered yet. and ultimately will be the way the pipe is located. starting at the vent.

randy

Reply to
xrongor