Suggestions on a forced air furnace

My SIL asked me to do some research for her. She's interested in a forced air furnace for her 3000 sq. ft. home and doesn't know which kind to buy. Rather than ask a heating expert, who may or may not sell you his/her special brand, I thought I would ask here. Does anyone have any special preferences as to which kind they like/would like to have? What would be the reasons?

Thank you.

Reply to
cvnative

Sorry to say, but from what the HVAC guys have said here, time and again:

They can be pretty much the same, regardless of brand and sometimes price.

I've seen more than one installer comment here that a good install can make the most poorly designed and least expensive unit perform better and longer than the most expensive poorly installed unit.

It's getting a good installer that knows what you need, and installing it properly that counts.

Having said that - DO NOT buy a Lennox. I spent top dollar on one of those damn things.... over the last 4 years it has gone out at least 5 times.

Reply to
Matt

Sizing and installation are certainly important, but an inferior unit well installed is still an inferior unit. I think most HVAC people, knowledgeable as they are, cannot give a good answer as to which units are best, because all of them seem to be limited to a few lines; if you ask a Chevy dealer what the best car is, is he going to know anything about Fords?

I looked here: http://www.c> My SIL asked me to do some research for her. She's interested in a

Reply to
William Brown

Thats kind of like asking, "I need to buy a new car. What kind should I get?" You also need to ask an expert. They are who installs them. You wouldnt ask your plumber to work on your car, would you? Get approx 3 estimates (NOT 10). Get estimates from companies you have researched (friends, family, co workers etc.) Ask the local Trane, Tempstar, Carrier, Rheem, etc wholesale house who they would use if they needed a new furnace in their home. Do a little research and you'll be happy you did. Bubba (An expert)

Reply to
Bubba

That is sort of like shopping for a green car.

The most important part of the process is the contractor not the unit. Sure a bad unit properly installed is still a bad unit, but a good contractor will not install a bad unit.

As your friends neighbors and co-workers. Find one or more you can trust and get estimates. Let them pick the units they feel will work best in the situation. Then before you make the final choice, get references and check them out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First question is which fuel will she be using- gas,electric,oil, heat pump? Next is what one of the other posters said- They are all pretty much the same. I prefer Trane or Ruud/Rheem but only because of one reason---Make sure you can get local repair work done by a reputable service organization! Ask some neighbors who they use don't be afraid to call them and conduct an interview. It's a lot of money at stake (both for the furnace and the fuel) and you want to make the right decision.

Reply to
DD

' My SIL asked me to do some research for her. She's interested in a forced air furnace for her 3000 sq. ft. home and doesn't know which kind to buy. Rather than ask a heating expert, who may or may not sell you his/her special brand, I thought I would ask here. Does anyone have any special preferences as to which kind they like/would like to have? What would be the reasons? Thank you.'

There are many good brands out there ; it comes down to how important is name recognition to you and how much are you willing to pay for a fancy advertising budget being put into the cost of the equipment . If you feel you need a well recognized name, like Carrier or Trane, then be prepared to pay out about 30-50% more to cover the enormous marketing program they have AND...the Carrier Dealers attitude that he can charge more cause : 'Its a 'Carrier' . Same with Trane and Lennox.

If brand recognition is not all important and you dislike paying for a manufacturers advertising scheme, then there are a number of good brands out there that will work just as fine, will last just as long, will be just as reliable. Such brands are : Goodman, Tempstar, and a few others which im sure the average consumer hasnt heard of.

Also, the installer and his how he installs the equipment is very important in your consideration too. Make sure he doesnt have the typical darkside attitude of the hvac trade, as readily found in : Alt.HVAC newsgroup.

Reply to
DN B

'Having said that - DO NOT buy a Lennox. I spent top dollar on one of those damn things.... over the last 4 years it has gone out at least 5 times.'

Lennox is overrated and over-hyped .

What many consumers dont realize is : many of the parts found in furnaces AND a/c units 'very often' come from the same vendors (IE: Honneywell Gas Valves, ThermoDisc Limit Switches, G.E. fan motors, Mallory Capacitors, Norton hot surface ignitors, Fasco Draft inducers, etc...) .

Ive had many problems with in warranty Trane, Carrier, Lennox as of late....and fewer and fewer problems with Goodman and Tempstar. Want to save a bunch of money on advertising and still have a lifetime warranty on a stainless steel heat exchanger for a 90 plus gas furnace as well as 5 years on all other parts ?? Then try a Goodman. I put it in my own house and im convinced its every bit as good as Carrier, Trane, and Lenny . With the money you save, youll be able to take the family to a local Embassy Suites Hotel for the weekend including lunch,dinners, pizza snack, and gratiuity . And youre family will think youre the greatest.

Reply to
DN B

DNandButthead Davie Boi of Illinois only sells Goodman so he is biased and full of Bull. Lennox dropped him. Carrier banned him.

Truely it is the instaler, he will make it all come together and work. But Goodman is not top line from what other Pros here say .

Reply to
m Ransley

As others said ask the pros, the install is #1, but aside does she live in a warm area where heating is a few days of the year or where it is now -35f and she is paying more for heat than the national debt. Is her old furnace 50- 60 or 80% efficient. Are her summer AC bills high or nonexistant . How old is it and why is she looking for a new unit, Saftey, ancient, efficiency, and undersized are a few reasons, as is unfounded fear.

Reply to
m Ransley

Stop your damn whinning davey. If you werent such an idiot you wouldnt be crapped on so badly all the time. And the only reason you have a Goodman in your home is because thats all hacks like you can buy. They sell to anyone. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

As a HVAC contractor, I can say yes, we do!

See we work on ALL the brands, and know which ones are failing due to install issues and which ones are failing do to the unit being a POS!

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

That's just because you are a HACK and get called on it damn near on every post you reply on over there.

You are a HACK, admit it and go on.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

You have several good replies, and I will say this...

Manual J (size unit to home)

Manual D (size ducting to unit)

You haven't given a general local. Every part of the country uses different equipment. North...big on heating and high efficiency...South...big on high S.E.E.R. Heat pumps.

Equipment longevity depends on several items...local, install, sizing, general maintenance.

Find the BEST damn INSTALLER you can find and afford, buy the highest energy saving equipment you can afford!

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

This is Turtle.

Most all brands are equal if installed by a Good hvac Installer. All Brands are trash if installed by a NOT SO GOOD INSTALLER. Now I did say most and not all.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE