Fence Rails: 2 or 3?

wrote:

How wide is the rail??? Use 2X12s and it might be half an inch.
On 6/21/2017 9:03 AM, Bill wrote:

Mine's an 80+ pound Mountain Cur . But we live out in the woods , no fences . He did discover that the electric fence around the garden - for deer control - hurts ... Max could clear a 3 foot fence without trying .
--
Snag
On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:14:40 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

A rail fence, meaning one with no pickets, just rails. I was referring to wind load, that I think someone in another post referred to, and it's the only load the rails have anyhow.

Wind. Some hurricane was mentioned.
But it's interesting that mook assumed a privacy fence, and I was thinking about a 4 foot rail fence never did give an adequate descriptin of the fence. He has to learn to ask questions well.

I'm talking about standard privacy fence with the dogeared top.
http://images.lowes.com/product/054561/054561106084.jpg
One owed inward the other bowed outward ther other one sideways. Good lord. these look terrible just afew months after installation. Probably cheap wood.

The purpose of the fence matters. If it is just for show, two rails is enough. If it is to stop certain critters, three might work better.