fasten sink to a 2" tile counter

I am trying to fasten the sink to a 2" granite tile counter. I have a 3/4" plywood, one 1/2" and one 1/4" hardiback under the granite tiles. All 4 layers have the same size opening. So the opening is 2" thick.

Now the fasteners that come with the sinks are designed for

1" or less thick counters. I can't seem to fasten the sink to the counter. Is there a way around this? I can't find longer fasteners for the sink.

Now if I do this again, I would cut the granite tiles 1/2" less so fasteners can attach to them at the edge.

Reply to
a guest

Thanks. The problem is there is not many plumbing stores around for non contractors. I guess I have to check the yellow pages. There are a lot of HomeDepos and Lowes open during the evening/weekend.

Reply to
a guest

Visiting construction sites from time to time will allow you to build up an invaluable inventory of nails, many of which are ideally suited to a job such as this.

Reply to
Matt

You can find sink clips for just about any thickness. I found some for a concrete countertop that was 3" thick. You have to go to a real plumbing supply, not home despot.

Reply to
Robert Allison

If you cannot find the proper clips then you MAY be able to cut a rebate (rabbet) into the lowest layer of supporting material with a router to allow the existing clips to fit. This will weaken the mounting just a bit but since a top-mount sinks will be pretty well glued into place by the caulking that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Actually I'm surprised that there is a problem though -- the coutertops I built have 3/4" ply sandwiched with 1/2" ply sandwiched with backerboard and then covered with ceramic tile and the standard clips that came with the Koehler cast iron sink fit with no problem.

Reply to
John McGaw

Try going the Ace hardware. I found some different size ones there when I increased the tile counter thickness for a bathroom, when I added tiles to a laminated counter-top - but kept the sink.

Reply to
Mike