Failed Flood Lamp

This one really had me saying" What The F**k"

Whe I got out of my car this afternoon I nearly stepped on three pieces of glass on the blacktop. I a second I looked up and realized they were parts of the lens from one of the two Phillips 90 watt flood lamp bulbs in a motion detector holder above our home's garage doors. I'd installed those new bulbs about two months ago when I replaced the failed motion detector on that umpteen year old fixture.

It appeared that whatever adhesive was supposed to hold the lens onto the reflector body didn't stick worth a damn to either the glass or the plastic reflector.

I was shocked, shocked to see that this happened as I'd never realized that those bulbs used a small complete lamp bulb inside the reflector housing, and the whole housing wasn't evacuated.

For the heck of it I called Phillis and a nice lady their said she's send me an email and if I returned it with a photo of my failed bulb they'd replace it at no cost.

I took the photo, and I'm still amazed that the "bulb" failed that way. If you want to see it, look here:

The "glue" or whatever it was came right off both parts and looks like white "worms" in the photo.

Have those sorts of bulbs always been made that way?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Halogen? That's typical of those that I've seen.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm glad to see someone else has just as much crap on the garage floor as I do .

Reply to
slate_leeper

Close call, but it isn't the floor, it was one end of my garage workbench. SWMBO has infected me with her neatness disease, she feels that every horizontal surface in our home can be considered a shelf.

I put the bulb pieces there for the photo because I thought that my old carved "WTF" sign was appropriate for what I said when I found the lens had come unstuck and fallen off the flood-lamp's body.

Now that I look at that photo I see all sorts of stuff I haven't touched in years, including an orange skeet shooting clay, a Staples "That was Easy" thingy, a box of wood screws and some thick circular lead weights I'd cast in tuna fish cans way back when.

Thanks to those who confirmed my memory that all the similar flood-lamp bulbs I'd purchased in the past were constructed from "solid" glass.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff, did you have the same high school Physics teacher I did ? ETHS '62

Reply to
""Retired"

it appears to include an Easy button.

I don't have one of those, but I do have a big red button marked "SHUT THE #*@% UP!" (TV mute control).