Exterior door question

Getting ready to paint my exterior door trim on your regular run of the mill steele door with brickmoulding ..They are new....Can I remove the weather stripping that goes around the door to make it a better , easier job..It's the kind that snaps into the wood and the door closes against....I experimented with it by trying to pop it out and did get it started then I popped it back in so I think I can but wanted to double check...In the past I just cut around it but it is a PITA......Any special tricks or methods to not break anything ??? Thanks for any help

Reply to
benick

That is what you would do if you were replacing it. Only hitch is if you tear it then you will have to replace it. Beware of possible wire nails used by the manufacturer, so do, some don't.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

If the strip looks likes this sample, yes just get one end started and pull the strip out. When paint do not fill the channel with paint.

Oren

Yep that's it...Thanks Oren....Saved me a ton of cutting....

Reply to
benick

Make sure you remember which side of the door the vertical pieces came from! They are different sizes and if reversed will make closing the door very difficult.

Gordon Shumway

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'll be sure to mark them..Thanks....

Reply to
benick

I painted an exterior door and removed the weather stripping, cleaned it, and pushed it back in place after the last coat of paint. Removing it gives a chance to inpect and replace it if needed.

Reply to
Phisherman

benick wrote: Removing the weatherstripping is by far the best and quickest method if you're painting the door frame...Just make sure the paint is dry on the frame and the door if you paint that too. If you put the weatherstripping on too soon the damp paint on the door will stick to it leaving you with a mess.

Reply to
EZHangDoor

Maybe you could figure out how to post. Benick did not write....

It is over a year since the OP asked the question. Do you think that the OP hasn't already painted the door?

And you are not responding to a homeowners hub thread. The thread is from a usenet newsgroup - alt.home.repair. Maybe you could find out what usenet is.

Homeowners' hub is a parasite that steals our work. It doesn't even attribute the source.

If you don't want to figure out usenet, I suggest using google-groups.

Reply to
bud--