Exterior Door Weather Stripping

We have two pre-hung exterior entry doors that have ?bulb? type weather stripping that is held in place by an attached spline inserted into a slot in the door frame. We?re not getting a good seal, although the door has been adjusted for maximum closure.

I don?t want to have to undergo any structural modifications, and am considering installing an exterior weather strip like the one shown on this link.

Any opinions, pro or con, or other suggestions?

TIA

Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9B67D3B3AC07Awayneboatwrightatgma@69.16.185.247:

Any chance of posting a pic of what you have, especially the channel? May get some better suggestions. Then again, maybe everyone already knows what you're talking about...except me.

Reply to
Red Green

On Mon 01 Dec 2008 10:45:39p, Red Green told us...

I?ll get a digital picture of the door jamb and weather stripping tomorrow.

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If that is a Peachtree door and replacement weatherstrip are you sure it is the right size? It took me forever to find it- and when I finally remembered/figured out the door was a Peachtree & went to the lumberyard where I bought it and asked for the strips for the Peachtree door the counter guy was scratching his head when the 'old guy' walked by and went to some dusty part of the warehouse and retrieved the right strips.

The spline on [the old] peachtree is huge. This looks like a good cure-

url
]

I like that stuff when it works. We had a cat that liked to dig at it so we went through a lot years ago, but I think we've got 8 yrs on the last strips and they still look and work fine.

I'd want to handle that stuff before I bought it. From the picture I can't tell how it actually seals.

On the materials only; I like silicone- but hate aluminum. It transmits heat quicker than water, and usually looks 'old' in a year or two. [the foam weatherstrips do, too, but they are buried in the doorjamb; not the first thing you see at the entrance.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On Mon 01 Dec 2008 10:45:39p, Red Green told us...

These are three shots of my door jamb with the weather stripping in place, but none are very good because everything is white and it tends to all run together. I was afraid to pull any of the weather stripping out of the slot because it?s a very tight fit and I didn?t think I could push it back in.

?pic=qss3kk&s=4
This shot is a piece of similarly constructed weather stripping I found on the net.

If I were to use what I propose, I would leave the current weather stripping in place. The new weather stripping would be mounted on the outside of the door with the silicone bulb (tubing) pressing tightly against it.

I hope that all makes sense.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 05:52:06a, Jim Elbrecht told us...

No, I?m sure it?s not a Peachtree door, but I don?t know the brand. The doors were already installed in the house when we bought it and I can?t find any markings.

The spline on the weather stripping is very thin and fits very tightly into its slot. I haven?t removed any section of it for fear of not getting it back in place.

I don?t think this would work without considerable change to the door jamb.

Here are three not very good shots of the present stripping on the door jamb. Unfortunately, everything is white so it all tends to run together.

?pic=qss3kk&s=4

This shot is a piece of similarly constructed weather stripping I found on the net.

My plan was to leave the current weather stripping in place, then mount the aluminum strip with silicon seal on the exterior door jamb with the seal pressing tightly against the door.

I?ve seen a similar product in a local store, but it wasn?t as wide, and I need the width to insure complete coverage.

The mounting of the aluminum plate allows for adjustment closer or further away from the door after initial mounting. The tubular shaped silicone seal compresses against the door when closed.

I hated aluminum when we lived in NE Ohio. It always looked like crap. However, I now live in the desert southwest, so we don?t have the corrosion problems with aluminum that are common in climates where there is a lot of rain, snow, and ice. Our door sills are heavy grooved aluminum and look as bright as they day we moved in. If I should get any spots, a small amount of aluminum polish makes it look like new.

My main concern is protecting against heat loss from air conditioning and dust infiltration, as we have many heavy dust storms here at times. We use very little heat in the winter, so heat loss is not much of an issue.

HTH

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 05:29:06p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Sorry, but the last shot was a duplicate. Here is the small piece of weather stripping:

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 02 Dec 2008 05:46:10p, Wayne Boatwright told us...