eReader options

Perhaps where you live. In a town of 50,000 finding something to see is a chore or the price is ridiculous. I bought an Omron strapless HRM late last year. The only one I could find in town was $50 at Walmart. The same item was $25 from Amazon.

My worst experience was after I bought a car without a radio. It was a new model so the dash kit was also a new design. I went to the leading car stereo store in town and selected a radio. The salesman said they didn't have the kit and would give me a call. Okay. A couple of days later, he calls to say there isn't a kit but they might be able to modify one. Meanwhile, I'd been on a Toyota forum and gave him the manufacturer and part number. It was a Metra kit, one of the major providers. He said he'd order it from the his supplier and it should be delivered in three days. Okay. Three days later, I called. The shipment had arrived with no kit. He would try to order it from Spokane. Okay. Two days later, the Spokane delivery arrived, no kit.

I thanked him for his trouble through clenched teeth, went home, and ordered the radio, dash kit, and harness from Amazon. Two days later there was a pile of boxes on my deck when I got home from work and I installed the radio.

That's how it runs for most things around here and it isn't only Amazon. I went to a local archery shop looking for glue on target points. They're mostly into compound bows, not traditional archery. The guy said he could order them for me, but I could find them on the internet as easily as he could.

Back to books: I went into the B&N store looking for a title and she said she could order it and it would be a week or two at the full list price. I ordered it from B&N online for 10% less and free delivery to my door.

I really, really try to support the local brick and mortar stores but I'm starting to think they all have a death wish.

Reply to
rbowman

She hears of titles that she will want to read -- from friends, "the media", or referenced in other things she's reading. Then, goes to the library's website to see if they have the title. If so, places a hold and waits her turn -- never having to remember she's done so (they remember *for* her!)

If they don't have it, she will try ILL (again through the website) if it is an "old" title (ILL won't process "new" titles). Again, the onus is again on the library to remember this for her.

If too new for ILL (or, unobtainable), she'll "suggest a title for purchase" which typically places her on the waiting list for that title as a consequence of her suggestion.

So, for *print* material, the library proves to be an excellent resource! Not only do they have (or get!) the materials, but they also keep track of what they *should* be getting for you thereby freeing you from remembering that you were looking/waiting for a particular title.

For technical literature (article/journal reprints, etc.), it provides the same sort of service for me (invariably, they produce a paper document -- even if it had been transmitted via facsimile). It's rare that they *can't* find something but that I *could*; relatively common for them to find things that I *can't* (cuz I don't have borrowing privileges at the Las Vegas Public Library, etc.)

OTOH, when they exhaust their capabilities, I can still dig deeper (e.g., writing directly to authors).

[I have to submit some FOIA requests for some other documents I want/need -- no way the library would undertake that for me!]
Reply to
Don Y

You've had a much different experience than I. I ordered three Photon Microlights. Two were genuine but the third was a Chinese knockoff. It worked but the LED color was bluer. I emailed Amazon and they refunded the price, told me to keep the light. There was something that I returned but I can't remember what it was. It was painless though. Get the RGA online, print the label, slap it on the box, and throw it into the FedEx bin on my way to work.

That's two instances I remember out of many orders. The UPS driver knows me very well. This week I got 4 separate deliveries. LR44 batteries,

2016 batteries, a Silky Gomboy pruning saw, and 12 Clif Mojo bars. The batteries were Everready and much cheaper than available locally, as were the bars. The Silky would have been a special order.
Reply to
rbowman

Mine is lined with bookshelves (technical/reference literature). I don't borrow "books" from the library (just DVD's).

She liked the PDA when it worked reliably. But, when ActiveSync started throwing fits and she could no longer keep a backup on her laptop, she decided it wasn't worth the effort/risk.

I used to keep my address book on a PDA (not trusting an email client as email is, by definition, on an "accessible" machine!). But, as I moved away from snail mail and telephone contacts, the utility dwindled. Now, I have a backup of the PDA on one of my NetBSD boxes but, for the most part, don't fret the street addresses, birthdates, driving directions, etc. that are stored therein.

I've saved the PDA's, though, as they will eventually be used as little BT "terminals" (small touch screen, convenient to keep on a coffee table to interact with the automation system!). Silly to try to *build* something in that form factor, cost, etc.

I have one TINY cell phone (WiFi/BT) that I will carry, from time to time, to use as a portable terminal when interacting with diagnostic services on certain devices. Tiny display is more convenient than carrying a laptop for that purpose. (and, the diagnostic services aren't written expecting bountiful display resources! :>)

Reply to
Don Y

That's my experience but I have had a couple of problems, all of which were resolved immediately. I don't order much clothing. One of my returns was a pair of motorcycle gloves. I ordered XXXL iirc but XXXL in Pakistan means suitable for Minnie Mouse. However I'd had the same problem at the brick and mortar bike stores in town before ordering from Amazon. I finally found a pair of leather gloves I could get my paws into at the hardware store. Not very stylish but they work.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm not claiming they were reluctant to accept the returns! But, rather, that I *had* to make returns! I've now invested in a "shopping experience" (finding the devices, ordering them, WAITING for delivery; then having to UNDO all of these actions) -- with nothing to show for it!

I've just wasted my time and calendar time THINKING that I had "found" the item that I wanted.

At a brick and mortar, I can see *THE* item that I will be taking home with me. If it is incorrect or obviously defective, I can pick up another. If I notice lots of defective items in that lot, I can suspect that I might be UNHAPPY with this purchase, down the road.

If I walk into a HF, I can hold the utility knife I'm thinking of buying in my hand and decide if I like the "feel". I can examine the fabrication to decide if its shoddy or quality workmanship. I can test the edge of the blade to see if it is nominally sharp or TRULY sharp (can't test its hardness without damaging it). Then, evaluate the price and my expected usage of *this* utility knife to decide if I want to complete the transaction and live with the consequences.

Buy the same/cimilar knife online and the process starts *after* it arrives at my doorstep. I've made *a* selection (don't order 5 different styles to "try in the comfort of your own home") and now waited. With no guarantee that the purchase will be over when it arrives. Indeed, the return process may just be starting! :<

From your past comments, you probably don't have a lot of LOCAL options to buy those things? In a city of half a million -- in a metro area of a million -- we have a fair bit more "local choices", I suspect.

[This is what I miss about Chitown and New England; even with the 1M here, its nothing compared to either of those areas! Heck, I could visit the manufacturers, there!]
Reply to
Don Y

"A town of" is misleading. I grew up in a town of 20,000 -- the high school sat in the middle of a corn field. But, in a metro area of some several MILLION! In the time it took me to drive to high school, I could have headed off for any of the surrounding "cities".

I feel sorry for them. Many folks use them as "showrooms" and do their purchases online (clearly not fair to the B&M as they've had to maintain showroom floor space, not WAREHOUSE floorspace). OTOH, what they *should* be touting is service and the immediacy of acquiring *the* product sought (not the *hoped for* product ORDERED).

The pants I mentioned that SWMBO received from Amazon, upthread, were originally purchased at a local B&M. I buy my jeans there (certain sizes aren't easy to find elsewhere) and was always impressed with the service and knowledge of their sales staff.

Sure as hell, SWMBO was *tickled* when thy pointed her at *exactly* what she was looking for and worked to find the best fit, etc.

"Great! I'll take them! Can I get two more pairs? And, maybe another pair in this other color, same size?"

"We'll have to order them in from one of our other stores."

"No problem! I can only wear one pair at a time! When will they be in?"

"Thursday" (that day being saturday) "we'll call when they arrive"

Thursday comes. No call -- yay or nay. Call THEM on friday. "Oh, the manager is out of the store, today. I'll leave a message and have her get back to you tomorrow."

You can see where this eventually ended up with NOTHING after two weeks of waiting!

"OK, we know which make/model/color you want; let's just order from Amazon!"

Wait a week for Amazon to deliver them. Then notice they are two different sizes and look as if they'd been worn for weeks (lots of wear at the cuffs).

Go through the effort of packaging them up, getting the UPS shipping label printed, dropping off at the UPS office by the library (so we don't have to worry about when the UPS guy will show up at our door for them), wait (and remember to check for!) for the credit on the charge card...

Then, go to Target and buy the same pants off the shelf -- after trying on BOTH pairs!

Reply to
Don Y

afaik, BestBuy and Staples both carry the Kindle line. BestBuy may have carried the Nook but I think they dropped it. B&N dropped the ball on that one.

I don't know about the current generation but one thing that put me off initially was the flash as the electrophoretic display refreshes. Flash isn't quite the word since the display goes black. It's 500 msec, if that long but it is noticeable when you first use an ereader. Like new shoes, you get used to it. After all turning a physical page takes time but we're used to that.

Reply to
rbowman

We sometimes visit OfficeMax (staples) so that's what I had in mind. I tend to buy my thumb drives and toner carts there -- when I can find a sale.

Yes, I noticed that on my friend's nook. "Disturbing". Whether or not it becomes *annoying* is a personal issue.

I've noticed some similar reaction with many of the new LED traffic lights, here. Not sure if it is a deliberate feature (to draw attention to the "change") or a visual artifact of the implementation.

(sigh) I guess I'd best get dressed for this "memorial service"...

Reply to
Don Y

So are mine, but most of them could be tossed. otoh, you never know when you might need a 1989 National Semiconductor TTL reference book. The manual lasted longer than the company.

Reply to
rbowman

Those reference is on the 'net these days. We don't like lending books we have. Some of them returned with some missing pages. Some of them were never returned.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

eReader is for portability. Tablets, iPADs can read as well. ePUB library can be at home in the desk top or NAS

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Technically Missoula is a first class city. The only larger city in Montana is Billings, 340 miles to the east. Then there's Spokane, 200 miles to the west, or Boise, 370 miles south.

If you can't find it 'in town' you're not likely to drive to a nearby city. 25 years ago I would go over to Spokane but in the last two decades the big box stores have come to town, for better or worse. Now a trip to REI is a short walk from work, not a 400 mile trek. Even at that the selection is limited compared to the big city stores.

Reply to
rbowman

Well, we do have a Harbor Freight :) What more could you want? And HF definitely is a place where I want to hold and interview the merchandise.

The basics are here; just don't get off the beaten track. Or bring your own tube of vaseline if you're looking for a HDMI cable or such.

Large metros have both better selections and better prices. I don't care that much for the company but even for something like the new Cabelas in town, my gut impression from a quick walk through was it wasn't as well stocked as the one in Glendale.

Even that is a case in point. I bought a Kershaw knife that was labeled as 'reversible' for $70. Of course with the blister pack you can't tell much but when I got home I found 'reversible' meant changing the clip for point up or point down carry in your right hand pocket. So I hit the internet to see if there was a left handed model. Turns out there isn't but I saw it on Amazon for $38.13. So it meant a trip back to Cabelas, on the wrong side of town, to get my $70 back.

I don't know if it would be cheaper in Glendale. I've never found Cabelas to be very competitive.

Reply to
rbowman

No, I don't keep paper copies of databooks. I've been chasing down PDF versions of anything like that which may be needed for legacy support and archiving them.

But, I *do* keep references like the TeX books, various language manuals, The Unicode Standard, CRC, Graphics algorithms, Knuth, Stevens, Comer, etc. Things that I'll want to pick up and thumb to find a particular reference or take off to a quiet corner to refresh my memory.

There are a select few of my school textbooks (mostly the Math ones). I have the "notes" for most of the other classes stored in a box in the garage (many of the courses didn't have books -- yet. E.g., my freshman AI course was a bunch of photocopied sheets in a paper binder that later became Winston's _Artificial Intelligence_ text).

Reply to
Don Y

Even some of those could use some pruning. I've got a good collection of Perl books but the question is if I'm ever going to use Perl again. Then there is the J++ book, if you want to talk about dead and gone.

Reply to
rbowman

You want a tablet with a fairly high-resolution screen for an e-book reader.

I've been using a 1280 x 800 8" tablet and it's adequate for e-books (189 PPI) but I'd prefer a 300 ppi or greater. It was $160. LG Gpad 8.0 II. I like the fact that it has a full size USB and a Micro USB port.

Reply to
sms

The only ones I could even *consider* would be the language manuals; many of them are for old/obsolete languages (Mumps, SNOBOL, etc.).

OTOH, they've come in handy, in the past! Especially when consulting papers written years ago.

E.g., there is a widely cloned letter-to-sound algorithm that was originally written in SNOBOL. *EVERY* implementation that I have come across -- typ in C -- adopts the strategies that are typically used *there* instead of as they were originally written.

SNOBOL uses a "reluctant" wildcard matching algorithm -- it tries to match to the smallest string possible and only ATTEMPTS to increases the characters matched if this hesitant approach fails.

Consider how you'd approach "*?" for varying target strings: "" "A" "AA" "AAA" etc.

Now, imagine a more complex grammar where you can define your own wildcards and build up sentences using those: # ::= 'A' | 'E' | 'I' | 'O' | 'U' $ ::= "LY" | "ED" | "ING" | "ENCE" etc.

Then, "productions" that combine those in arbitrary ways to form replacement rules. With a "greedy" match, you get different results than if you adopt a "reluctant" matching strategy -- one wildcard can gobble up a character that should have been handled by the *next* wildcard in the production/grammar.

Should "#+$D" (plus meaning at least one -- but possibly more -- of the preceding symbol) match "IED"? With a greedy matching strategy, the 'I' and 'E' get swallowed by the "#+" leaving nothing for the '$'. In a reluctant strategy, the "#+" only tries to gobble up the 'E' if the pattern can't be matched with *just* the 'I' being matched.

I've also been rummaging through older languages with an eye towards language features that would be suitable for a *user's* scripting language (i.e., something a non-technical person could use to say: "When I come home, at night, turn on the kitchen lights as soon as I open the door.")

Imagine doing that in many of the modern languages -- littered with lots of bizarre punctuation and idioms that make a *programmer's* life easier -- but do nothing for a NON-programmer!

Reply to
Don Y

You laugh -- but I recall when my in-laws exclaimed over the arrival of a McDonald's in their home town ("Hey, we must be on the map, now!")

Yup.

I've found that "basics" varies in parts of the country. E.g., I can buy live *chicks* in the hardware store up the corner. And, bales of hay down the street. But, it will cost me a 30 minute drive to buy an overpriced capacitor at the *one* place in town that sells them!

I can *possibly* get a decent Italian meal if I go to one of the 4 stars that cater to resort visitors. But, damn little else for more modest tastes!

I had to bring almonds in from NYC as I couldn't find anyplace here that sold *quality* nuts.

Oval head, 100 degree, clutch/torx/robertson/etc. screws are a chore to locate; other markets I'd walk in to a hardware store and pick them off a shelf. Buy a box of 100, here, and they look at like you as if you must be in the "screw business"! :<

Name (chain?) doesn't ring a bell.

Smaller markets give vendors too much control over prices. And, customers alter their preferences to fit those choices -- so there's no pressure on the store to change its selection or pricing.

Reply to
Don Y

Gently used books for sale

dangerous dan