Environmentally Friendly alternatives to Freon

I'm doing some research on environmentally friendly alternatives to Freon. I know that there's a "new freon" which is supposed to be better for the environment, safer, etc. However, I'm wondering what else is out there, the experiences of people who have tried it, etc. For example, by searching the internet, I came upon something called "Enviro-Safe 22a". It's supposed to save electricity, and be better for the environment. Anyway, appreciate any info anyone might have.

Reply to
godfrey.daniels

I was laughing hysterically on the saving electricity part.

Reply to
SQLit

For what use? Different formulations for different applications. For home AC use go with go old R22 or R410a. You really do not have many options depending on equipment. Plus if you are in the USA you need to be EPA certified to use pretty much all refrigerants. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Enviorosafe, Duracool, and a bunch of others are hydocarbon based. Translation-- they are Butane/Propane. I have seen the claims of drastically reduced electric consumption, and better gas mileage in the case of auto a/c. I don't believe any of that, but I have Duracool n an old Suburban and it has worked ok for several years. ( A friend bought some for a car he was going to use it in, and sold the car without ever messing with the a/c, and gave it to me. When I had to replace a leaking hose on the Suburban, I had it and decided to give it a try.) Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Ammonia was used for a long time and is still used commercially. You can even use ... AIR. It just is not as efficient.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a difficult time taking you seriously. Do you even know what Freon is? If you asked about R-12 or R-22, I'd think you did some basic research but since you have not, this is not the place to start. Educate yourself on existing refrigerants and come back then.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

First, lets work on terms. Freon is a brand name. The product it sells is called "refrigerant". Other brand names of refrigerants are Genetron, and Isotron, and Forane.

Now, which refrigerant would you like to discuss? Before the EPA banned certain ones, there were five which were in common use (not counting sulfur dioxide, and ammonia). Some were banned, others restricted, and so on.

We really don't have any where near enough information to answer your (vague) question.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon