Engineered hardwood floor over chipboard

Can an engineered hardwood floor be installed over a chipboard subfloor? Anybody out there have any experience with this type of installation? Any comment, pro or con, would be appreciated.

Thanks, R.C.

Reply to
rdc

I think I would put down an underlayment, just saw some stuff at HD in 4 foot squares, never used it but it looks okay, or you can go with 1/4" ply

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

there are many different types now so you should check the instructions for the manufacturer and the material that you want to install.

some of the floating floor products use a foam material under the product so that would cure any of the problems with the ruff surface of the osb but if you need to level the floor or if your product does not use that method you may be better off using sheets of luan plywood screwed to the osb

which ever method you use I would strongly suggest that you install rows of screws into your joists through that osb so you don't endup with squeeks that will drive you crazy later.

good luck bob marencin

Bob Marencin