Empty clogged hot water heater

I have a hot water heater on the third floor which still has water in it because a hose at the bottom only let a few gallons out.

The spigot has a bend such that a coathanger was shoved in and out a few times, but it's still too clogged to drain.

The center pressure overflow valve twisted off so there's a 1/2 inch diameter open pipe at the top which maybe I can suction the water out from perhaps?

If I tip it upside down, I need the water to flow into a bucket somehow as people live downstairs who are already mad that some water dripped on them.

Reply to
andrew

Try a heavy duty plastic tie. They bend around corners.

You probably don't need quite this big, this is just for illustration:

YOu also don't have to buy 25 of them. Go find some place where advertising is illegally tied to light or phone poles and use some of those.

Reply to
micky

Could you use an air compressor to clean the heater somehow? Back flush it? There are self priming drill pumps available that aren't too expensive.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If you have a spot nearby that's lower, like a window, you could rig up a garden hose to the cold water intake at the top, fill the hose with water, then siphon it out. Or similar to a utility pump and pump it out. If you have an air compressor or compressed air tank a shot of air into the drain with a blowout nozzle might clear it enough to allow it to drain.

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

According to one of the pictures on that page, 48 inches is actually

39.4 inches. I've seen several things on Amazon where the size is discounted.
Reply to
Jim R

if poking anything up the spigot does not work, consider pumping from above with something like this little drill-powered  pump:

invalid unparseable

My plumber says this is not unusual. My water heater is in the basement and he says it's old enough it's unlikely to drain out the bottom.

But if you can run a thin hose through either the pressure release or the anode rod opening, you can siphon it out, no pump needed. Just insert the tube, suck some water until it's full, and as long as the outlet is below the level of water in the tank it will continue to empty. Put the tube in a bucket, pinch the tube shut each time the bucket fills. It will take a while but it's easier than carrying 400 pounds of water down the stairs. (assuming 50 gallon tank)

Reply to
TimR

The WH was empty but one time I cut it in half to see how it was made. Used a reciprocating saw, a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Then you can tip it over and pour out what's left.

It also made it easier to carry it up the stairs and outside I cut it into parts small enough to throw away.

BTW, it was 15 or 20 years old but only had 3 or 4 tablesspoons of tiny stones in the bottom. It would have taken 100 more years to clog the drain. I live in Baltimore and get my water from 1 of the 3 reservoirs.

the anode rod opening, you can siphon it out, no pump needed. Just insert the tube, suck some water until it's full, and as long as the outlet is below the level of water in the tank it will continue to empty. Put the tube in a bucket, pinch the tube shut each time the bucket fills. It will take a while but it's easier than carrying 400 pounds of water down the stairs. (assuming 50 gallon tank)

Reply to
micky

That's brilliant! I hadn't thought of that. It won't work for the OP without plugging the pressure relief hole but it should work in general.

Unless, of course, your compressor causes the pressure relief to trip.

Still, something like this is probably a better option for most DIY:

TimR