Electronic pest repeller

This is a unit that you plug into an outlet and it supposedly does something to the house circuitry that repels pests from the house.

"Rids home of mice, rats, and roaches by sending electronic impulses through home wiring"

Is there any basis by which something like this could actually work?

Reply to
DaveT

They 'work' by generating a very high pitch sound similar to a silent dog whistle. It is higher than dogs can hear. I doubt they work or work very well. I have one similar to that in my basement, but every year or two I do trap a mouse in the old stand by spring loaded mouse trap. It does not actually go out over the wiring in the house, just gets it power from the outlet.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In news:m7sgpi$6e2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, DaveT belched:

no

Reply to
ChairMan

I never used one but read the reviews...

Oddly there seemed to be little middle ground.

A lot of people said it worked and a lot said it didn't.

Since it produces a high pitched noise, I saw a review that stated it bothered the owner's dog

Reply to
philo

If your MIL packed up and left in the middle of the night then you know tha t it works...other than that I hear that it does not work too well for mice .

Reply to
Roy

IMHO waste of money. Item like this did not work for me. I like to caution people on reviews such as Amazon that they ask for a review too quickly to completely evaluate products.

Reply to
Frank

There are ones that don't work at all, and some that do. The ones that you can hear do tend to work. My brother had a real bad problem with mice in the trailer at his woodlot property. He got one of the heavy duty ones and within 2 weeks he had no more mice in the trailer. A friend had trouble with mice at the cottage. We got another of the same units, and no more signs of mice in the cottage. Both places were empty for weeks at a time, and the unit was set to the highest volume and a frequency you could hear. Very irritating - and effective.

I had problems with squirrels in my shed behind the house. I strung an extension cord and plugged in one of the little "silent" ones and placed it close to the spot they were tearing apart to get in. Every time the squirrel got close he shook his head and made a real fuss. After a couple days there were no more squirrels trying to get into the shed.

I put the same unit in my garage, and still found mouse trace over the winter. Likely not big enough or strong enough for the size of the garage..

Reply to
clare

You don't enjoy reviews like "I haven't opened the blister pack yet but this is absolutely the best one of these I've ever had."

Reply to
rbowman

I think he meant "the damn thing isn't here yet, quit sending me four dozen pester emails to demand a review, you pushy little snot" kind.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A now deceased friend of mine was the manufacturer of the first electronic pest disperser. I once asked him, "Bob, how can you sell something you know doesn't work?". He replied, "I give them a money back guarantee". I then asked him how many had been returned. He said, "Seven out of

700,000".

He kept on selling them.

Reply to
dadiOH

Seemed like a reasonable premise. Years ago I purchased several 'screamers' that launched HF audio straight into the air to dissuade pests from intruding into our basement. They DID NOT WORK TO EXPECTATION. spiders built nests in and near them.Rats would still invade the basement and set up camp there. Didn't see much diference from having them there and NOT having them there.

You'd be better off using Raid's new product "Bug Barrier" that stuff is awesome. Don't use near pets and food preparation areas, but it takes out a LOT of pests. Mice and rats, you're on your own. But, simply remove their food supply. Or, lace around with D-Con.

If you do have a 'continual' pest problem, check for invisible water leaks.

Reply to
RobertMacy

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class Except congress." (Mark Twain)

Young Chuck, moved to Montana and bought a horse from a farmer for $100.00. The farmer agreed to deliver the horse the next day. The next day he drove up and said, 'Sorry son, but I have some bad news, the horse died.'

Chuck replied, 'Well, then just give me my money back.'

The farmer said, 'Can't do that. I went and spent it already.'

Chuck said, 'Ok, then, just bring me the dead horse.'

The farmer asked, 'What ya gonna do with him?

Chuck said, 'I'm going to raffle him off.'

The farmer said, 'You can't raffle off a dead horse!'

Chuck said, 'Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead.'

A month later, the farmer met up with Chuck and asked, 'What happened with that dead horse?'

Chuck said, 'I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars a piece and made a net profit of $898.00.'

The farmer said, 'Didn't anyone complain?'

Chuck said, 'Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back.'

Chuck grew up and works for the government.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm unaware of any published research that show these or anything like them are effective. I've seen (but haven't looked for online links) some reports by ag research stations on them for grain storage protection and the like that didn't show any effectiveness and some on the in-ground ones for stuff like moles that also were ineffective.

Yet, you'll find folks will swear by them. "Seen any elephants in the room lately?" comes to mind...

Reply to
dpb

No, either the item was still in the package to which I would not review, or I had just started using it.

I was thinking of a wifi printer that was a breeze to set up and use for a couple of pc's and an iPad. I gave it a great review. Then a few weeks later I lost contact to it and it was a real PITA to restore. No way to go back and edit my Amazon review.

Reply to
Frank

They supposedly emit sounds that humans (and dogs) can't hear, but are unpleasant to pests. I have a relative who tried some and they seemed to have no effect on bugs (she mainly had a problem with roaches and ants).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Love it :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Got a book for Christmas about keeping deer out of the garden. Interesting that ultrasound repellents are not heard by deer and are disregarded. It's amazing the crap that is sold to us. Dadioh has a great story.

Reply to
Frank

They get rid of some of those pesky dollars in your wallet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I lived in a house that had a serious mouse problem. In fact that was the reason I moved. But I bought one of those things, and it did not do anything at all. There was a small red LED on it, which lit up, so it supposedly worked. As far as I was concerned, all it did was light up that LED and waste a very small amount of electricity. I did not hear anything!

I dont recall the brand of it. I left behind it when we moved.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan