Electrical Meter on Street Light Pole

Every house has an electrical meter. So why did the electric company install one on a light pole?

Reply to
jimmy135

Most of the time I see them they are monitoring the power consumed by cable television distribution equipment.

Reply to
John McGaw

Why would they bother to put up a meter, read it, and send a bill for a constant load?

Both the city and the power company know how much power a street light uses. The power company charges the city an annual fee per street light.

Reply to
HeyBub

CATV power supplies, or sometimes feeding traffic signal controls, possibly sewer pumping stations.

Reply to
Pete C.

On a rare occasion, if the site is at the border of two electric companies that have a large price differential, a consumer might do that to put the point of service (the meter) inside of one territory and then a line into the house (or whatever) that in the other territory. But it's pretty rare.

Reply to
Pat

perhaps it goes to a underground feed, to things like a sewage lift pump?

we have one of those in our neighborhood. just a manhole and a pole.

made me curious too....

Reply to
hallerb