Electric Wall Heaters

Well, since i am redoin the floors I decided to add a nice little electric wall heater to the batroom. Any recommendations on what type of heater to get ? I am think 1000 watts. Its a real small bathroom probably 60sq ft or so, but I want on demend heat for those chilly nights on arizona lol.

Reply to
JTurner

This is Turtle.

I think I would go with a 1200 watts or a 1500 watts for some hair driers are a 1,000 to 1200 watts.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

also consider whether it is rated for use in a bathroom and how much noise you want it to make. a quiet 250 watt clear heatlamp [only 853 btu] in a ceiling fixture warms the skin but not the air and makes newspaper reading easy. use a remote exhaust fan located up in the attic not in the bathroom itself to give you more quiet and it may draw heated air into the bathroom under the door from the warm hallway.

Reply to
buffalobill

Reply to
Art Todesco

An infrared heat lamp in a ceiling bath fan is is cheaper, works well and safer.

Reply to
m Ransley

There are also heating vent fans that fit in the same spot. and radiant heaters that fit into surface ceiling fixtures. I just put a portable space heater on the shelf during winter and put it away in the summer.

If you install a heating appliance that is hardwired, it should to be on a separate circuit (if you care about code even if you don't bother with a permit). If it is plugged in, you can use an existing receptacle. 1500W will use just about all 20A rated for the branch circuit. Add a hairdryer and you will trip the breaker for sure, even a lamp might be enough. GFCI is not required for a hardwired heater but is for any receptacle it might plug into in the bathroom. In general, permanent wall heaters require their own branch circuit and are added to the load calculation at 100% rated current (as opposed to 40% of rated current for other appliances)

Reply to
PipeDown

Yeah, that is a huge problem since my downstairs breaker is only 15A. I don't have much electrical experience so it wouldn't be practical for me to add another breaker (and I have to keep it up to code). As far as using a IR heater via a fan ( I've seen these on braun.com ) could I hardwire this ?

I don't have a plug in shower area since it is seperate from the rest of my bathroom (it is behind a door)

Reply to
JTurner

Since you're redoing the floors anyway, why not _heat_ the floor with radiant floor heating?

:)

Reply to
Diezmon

Well, the radient heating systems I have seen would run around 5k for

500 sqft. I want to sell this place in the near future. If anyone knows how to do a radiant hetaing systems for the floors for around 1k that would be great!

-J

Reply to
JTurner