Electric of Hot Water baseboard?

Hi folks,

We are trying to decide on heating our basement. It is framed and ready for sheetrock we are trying to decide if we want HW baseboard or should we just get electric BB. A lot of folks are telling me that the new Electric BB heaters are very efficient and not as dangerous as they once where (?). The reason this is a consideration over HW is that trying to find a plumber that is reasonable this time of year is very difficult. I am getting some truly high prices lets say like 3000.00. I would also like to have this completed real soon.

I guess what I am trying to ask is if electric is that much more to run.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
ESteveP

Electric BB is ***way*** more expensive to operate. It runs hotter too, but you'll need less linear footage. I don't think electric BB runs any cooler than it ever did, although the do make some pricy electric hydronic BBs that put out less intense heat. You still cannot locate any outlet above electric BBs.

Have you considered installing hot water hydronic BB's yourself, and get a plumber to simply sweat all the fittings and make the final connections to the boiler only? That way, you're hiring a "service call" plumber by the hour, instead of trying to get a contracting geared production plumbing firm out to do a "little job."

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Some of it depends on where you live- how cold it gets and electric prices.... Sounds like you alreadt have a HW system. With Murphy's law in effect.... I'd go electric. If something were to go wrong with the boiler/burner in the middle of winter, you'd have *some* heat in the house.

My present house is all electric. Keep the curtains 6 inches away from the bb, and they're fine.

Reply to
Tom