electric hot water wiring

New Kenmore Miser 6 electric One Black wire, One blue wire, One yellow wire. On tank Power in one black, one white and ground. Black to black ? Yellow and blue from tank goes to white from power line ? Does ground and white go with the blue and yellow ? Can?t find any place to put ground wire to.

2pyrs
Reply to
2pyrs

RBM

As usual, I agree with Joseph. And unless it fell of the turnip truck, it should have wiring instructions. Even if it doesn't, you can get them from Sears or as was pointed out they almost always have a wiring diagram on the unit itself.

Reply to
trader4

I think it is time for you to back off on this project.

I would have to guess that water heater is 240V and it would appear (assuming US location) you are trying to hook it up to a 120V supply.

The water heater should specify how to hook it up, but I'll bet it talks about a black RED white and ground. The ground may be a screw on the tank not a wire.

I suggest you may need a professional here before you do something that could hurt someone or burn the house down.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What country are you in?

With those odd wire colors it's not obvious where they go, AFAIK. It is likely you have 10-2 with ground as a supply cable, correct?

This isn't answering your question, but if you have 10-2 with ground supplying your water heater then the black and white will be the hots, and the ground will be bare. This is normal for a water heater.

The blue and yellow wires on the heater are throwing me off. With those odd colors you're either going to have to find the wire diagram, guess, or do a continuity test between the metal casing and the yellow and blue wires (separately). I can't imagine why a water heater sold in the USA (assuming again) would come with UK wire colors..... Hopefully the voltage will be correct for the heater.

The one that shows continuity to the metal case will be the ground, and the other would have to be the other hot.

Try guessing and get it wrong, and you'll know as soon as you turn the breaker on.

Reply to
Olaf