elecric-lighting logistic

Matt:

M > I have just moved into a new house. The fusebox is in the basement and M > I am in the basement. There are three upstairs bedrooms, and the M > builder has informed me that there is exactly one fuse for each bedroom. M > I see three fuses marked "upstairs bedroom", but I don't know which M > fuse goes with which bedroom. M > M > I was upstairs a few minutes ago, and there was in each bedroom an M > electric table lamp turned on and lit up. The basement has no windows, M > and from the basement I can't see any of the bedroom windows or any of M > the light from any of the bedrooms. I have a flashlight. I want M > (without anybody's help) to match the fuses to the bedrooms, leaving the M > basement only once. M > M > Is this possible?

Why does this sound like one of those "if an east-bound train leaves the terminal at 5:42 travelling 72 MPH and a west-bound....."?

How about plugging a vacuum into the one bedroom, a radio into the second, and TV into the third? Undo the fuses, re-connect one at a time. When you hear the vacuum start up you will know this is the fuse for that bedroom, etc.

BTW, I'd be careful: common walls may be on the same circuit (the outlets back-to-back). Also, lighting may be on one circuit and outlets on another.

  • Only 7% of the population are lefties.
Reply to
barry martin

Turn all lights on. Go down to your basement and unscrew all three fuses. Wait 15 minutes so that all the light bulbs will be cool. Now screw in fuse #1 and leave it screwed in. Screw in #2 for 30 seconds and then remove. Leave #3 alone off. Now go upstairs. Lights on #1 will be burning. Lights on #2 will be off but hot. Lights on #3 will be cold.

Reply to
Ken