Earing down drain-how to get out

Diamond earing down shower drain. Can't get to drain other than from the drain opening in the shower. Any suggestions on how to fish the earing out? Thanks, Adam

Reply to
flycaster1

Vacuum might work.

Reply to
J T

Let me add to that... you probably won't have any luck with a vacuum just stuck over the drain, but if you get a piece of narrow, flexible tubing and connect it to the end of your vaccum hose so you have a smaller, flexible suction tube, you can stick it down the drain and get close enough to the earring to either suck it up (and pull it from the vac bag) or, better, get it stuck, from suction, to the end of the tube if it's a little smaller than the earring. You ought to be able to get tubing & something to adapt it to your vac (e.g. a cork with a hole in it) from a hardware store.

Reply to
J T

It's probably lodged in the usual soap scum and hair crud in the trap, so you might get lucky sucking it out with a freshly cleaned wet-dry vac. Look for the artifact in the hose as well as the tank if it works. The creative folks in this NG will likely have more ingenious ideas, but this is my contribution for the moment. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Thanks for your worthy responses. I got the gook out of the drain, but no diamonds. However, tomorrow I will go to the outside of the house where the bathroom trap (not really on the outside, but there is an entry to the drain as it leaves the house on its way to the sewer; and that is where the trap is) is and give it a try. As it is possible that the diamond is lodged between the shower drain and the trap, I guess I'll first run a lot of water through...and that might not do it. Furthermore, getting a suction device into the trap may be problematical. I think I'll cut a length of hose, tape it to the suction hose and snake it into the trap. We'll see...

Reply to
flycaster1

I don't know how heavy of a ring you lost.

DO NOT run lots of water.

If it is a PVC install, cut the trap out and empty it into a bucket. Still no ring? Try lots of water flowing into a bucket or get a panty hose strainer and loose couple the pipe back together. You sure don't want to flush the ring to the main, or even to the first crapper, it will be gone forever.

DanG

Yep, found it, but not where I expected to. I got a friend's vaccupump and was going to try to get to the trap. But as I was pondering this, I thought that the trap probably had all kinds of sh*t (literally) and crap in it. Also, as the diamond could also have been lodged between the drain and trap, I might not have gotten it even if I waded through all the crap. So, I did nothing; although my wife did volunteer to do the sieve through the crap hunt. Well, last night she saw a shinny object in on the carpeting outside the bathroom...the ring. Motto of the story: He who hesitates and does nothing, get the prize. Thanks again for all your help. Adam

Reply to
flycaster1

Not many of us need towning in Abyssinia.

Reply to
micky

Except it's Alberta Canada

Anonymous

Has anyone actually called the 619 phone #? I am wondering if this clown is actually trying to phone bomb the phone # he is broadcasting, which seems to be a San Diego #. His his rude ass hole activities here are to get us to harass some innocent person.

Reply to
Bob F

I was thinking that too. The way he acts, no sane person would call for a tow, but they may call to "get even" and get some innocent old lady. Jasper does not come up in San Diego in a Google search.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't think anyone will even call to get even. Casper is like a half-dead gnat. He's really not annoying anyone.

And people dont' want to pay a toll to call Abyssinia. I know someone said it was Alberta, but I know a little about geography and zip codes and it's a Abyssnia. Jasper is a north-eastern suburb of Addis Ababa.

Reply to
micky

Problem with that line is that its clearly a US number.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When I was in Europe this spring, my cell phone had both a local number and a US number. Some tow companies in Abyssinia still use camels for towing, so it's much cheaper.

Reply to
micky

Camels and cars don't mix. Or maybe it's Arabs and cars...

Reply to
rbowman

No Abyssnia towing operation has a US number, quite likely because of the considerable amount of water between Abyssnia and the USA which means that towing doesn't work too well between them.

But even you should have noticed that they don't do so well when towing thru that body of water.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Having seen some Arab drifting clips, definitely the latter! ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Good point. I think you have to hire a team of porpoises for that part.

Reply to
micky

So, you are operating a "business" in Texas with a San Diego Number? Now that sounds like a real fly by night "business". No wonder you have to SPAM newsgroups to try to find your first customer.

Reply to
Bob F

Yeah, and if you don't tell people the area you cover you can get calls from all over. I think you are a fraud and don't have a business at all. My guess is the phone number belongs to your ex girlfriend or your gay lover.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski