DVD on chainsaw sharpening, tree felling, etc.

You learn something every day...

I just watched a DVD I bought from a Stihl chainsaw dealer. It is produced by Stihl and is called: "Chain Saw Safety, Maintenance, and Operation".

This is an excellent DVD from which I learned quite a bit. The chain sharpening part taught me about using a "depth gauge" along with all sorts of stuff I never heard of before. Basically how to do it right, when to sharpen, how to tell from the cuttings if a chain is sharp or not, etc.

Also this DVD is *excellent* on the topics of safety, maintenance, and goes into extensive detail about felling trees, cutting down trees, and various situations you may encounter while doing this.

Everyone who uses a chainsaw should see this DVD. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that sells them online???

But here is a link which gives an address to order the DVD from the company which I guess made it for Stihl (Red Letter Communications)....

Bill

My husband taught that at the power company -- is on several of their videos. Chain saw safety, maintenance, and operation, and also climbing, felling, etc. He was disabled 5 years ago. In the spring he plans to start working a small mill with another disabled friend. Do just enough work to get by. His extensive work with trees gives him access to removal of nice tall straight aspen.

So we're still looking at mills -- Woodmiser, Lucas, Timber King. Probably start with a Woodmiser. And also looking at simple bolt together structures (sheds, furniture), as well as making plans for some small over-built beam cabins.

Sounds like that DVD has the kind of information that separates the week-end woodsman from someone interested in professional conduct with sawing and felling.

Tina

Reply to
Christina Peterson