Duplex recepticals

Just finished swapping out the standard 3 prong plugs and switches I installed 23 years ago because a real estate 'consultant' insisted on the Decora type. All the recepts were low end levitan types and i am not happy with what i see. The plastic housings are dried and brittle, some evidence of scorching around screws and terminals, several fell apart in my hands during removal. None were backwired although the plug allowed for it. The wire nuts and wire all appear in good condition, but the recepts have taken an obvious beating over the years. Conclusion? In the new home we are building i will only use the commercial type switches and plugs, the cheap low end consumer plugs leave me with zero confidence in design and durability. I am concerned since the new stuff is made flimsier and cheaper than the stuff i am replacing.

I am not an electrician but always try to do things right when safety is a factor. The wiring passed an inspection at the time the house was built but in my opinion, the wiring was unsafe. Is there any rule on replacment of these things ever ten years or whatever?????

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

There are different grades of receptacles and most of the big box stores (Home Depot and such) etc. will give you the choice of contractor or specification grade devices which are better than the 29 to 99 cheapies that you mentioned. If you can't find them in stores, just about any contractor/electrical supply company will carry the better grades. Type 'electrical receptacles' in eBay and you will probably find dozens for sale at pretty good prices.

If you have money to burn, you can order "hospital grade" outlets with isolated grounds and little pilot lights to show you the outlet has power. Some even have built-in surge protectors.

I'm not sure why people think the Decora stuff looks so much better.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

According to Beachcomber :

It's nicer for switches with us old farts, but, I can't see it makes any difference with receptacles ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Paid a real estate designer or 'fluffer' to consult and make changes that result in higher resale prices. Here in Toronto we average 25-75,000 over asking price if a 'fluffer' is used to 'stage' the open houses. Yes, its stupid, yes its nuts but i am singing all the way to the bank. The decora switches seem flimsier than the cheapest normal type rockers.