Dumb clock problem

Here are my DST , clock statistics:

8 clocks set back one hour

1 clock set ahead one hour

for me that's not too bad.

Reply to
philo

you are lucky you didn't reset the same clock twice.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

OMG I forgot!

Reply to
philo

I hope to get mine all changed by Christmas. I found one that was still on EST so that was one I did not have to fool with.

Reply to
gfretwell

I decided to take a break this year and not set the one on my coffee maker. I never use the "auto" feature, and it's too coffee-stained to read anyway.

Reply to
philo

I don't do either (1 hour ahead or 1 hour back). I set clocks to the correct time. There's no problem with doing that twice.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

IIRC, some people get addicted to the smell of coffee and can't function without it. Not even to make coffee.

My microwave has an "auto" feature. The clock comes up in a "not set" state which does not look like any time, so it's not confusing. The only time that clock gets set is when someone sets it accidentally.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've got a few small cheap battery-powered clocks that use pushbuttons to set the date, time, etc.

Unfortuneately, over the years the button contacts must become oxidized or otherwise marginal. So... go to press the button to change the hour, minute, date, etc., and... nothing happens.

I end up using a screwdriver point to bang on the button several times to get the push to "register". When it does, it advances the thing "one hour". Then bang on it again to get to the next hour.

The easiest clock to set is the analog one -- just turn the dial that moves the hour and minute hand!

Reply to
J.Albert

Here's a solution for you: Just double-up on clocks.

Keep one on standard time, the one next to it on DST. In the winter, just put the DST clock face down on the table and read the one set to standard time. In the spring, just reverse which one is face-up and which one is face-down ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I worked midnight to 8 for 11 years but the stressful part on my body was I did not have to go in if there were no calls so it really was no schedule. I might sleep all night, do stuff all day then have a busy night, maybe even called in early. It was great for a several years then it started wearing on me.

Reply to
gfretwell

My dad worked swing shifts for a long time. It was seven days on 1st shift, two days off, then seven days on 2nd shift, then two days off, and then seven days on 3rd shift, and two days off.

That messed with his sleep cycle, too!

Reply to
Muggles

I was doing 10 days on and 4 off.

Reply to
gfretwell

Worked swing shift in the steel mills, but shifts swung every month. Worst damn thing. I don't know why they didn't have fixed shifts, but after half a year I found a 2nd shift job elsewhere at almost twice the pay. My least favorite shift. Worked mostly 3rd shift for the rest of my blue collar career, which lasted 14 years. But always fixed shift.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I couldn't stand 2d shift. That was how I got 3d shift in the first place. We were on a rotating shift plan and I swapped 3d for second with everyone. Pretty soon someone asked if I just wanted to be permanent 3d shift and the rest was history. I stayed in 3d shift until I moved to Florida. When I was a young single guy I really liked "split second" tho. (12:30 to 9) You got off in time to go party with your buds and still get to sleep in. They forget you weren't there when they started and think you are bionic when you are still ready to go at 2am ... a few nights in a row.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did the 2nd a little less than a year, and never again. Mostly 3rd. The 2nd shift took you out of any "normal" semblance of social life. It's the same reason I stayed with the merchant marine for only a year. Didn't like the isolation.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I did second shift for 18 months. I did not mind it in the winter, hated it in the summer. At about 5 PM I'd be giving the guys breaks but I knew at that time I was really supposed to be sitting on my deck sipping a G & T with a piece of dead animal on the grill.

The good part of 2nd was everyone in the office was gone at 5. I could run the shift my way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski