DTV decoder report

I got an AccessHD DTA1080D DTV decoder yesterday($40.01,Comp USA),hooked it up and watched a few hours of TV.

After the initial scan,it received more channels than my other decoder,Magnavox TB100MW9 (with same antenna,same location),but even with a "good" signal indication(~80%),there was pixelling and a scratchy audio.

After awhile,those symptoms went away,BUT,when I switched channels,ones I originally had were now "no signal found",and all the signal levels were very low,nearly unusable.It had lost much sensitivity. The box itself was fairly hot,even the F-connectors were hot,uncomfortable to touch. I'm going to try to return it for another.

The remote control was much better than the Magnavox remote. (No layers of menu to go thru.) It came with a wallwart style switching regulator PS. I would prefer the Access decoder IF it worked right.

Switching back to the MW9 decoder,the channels were all fine,and that box doesn't get very warm at all.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Never heard of that before!!!

uncomfortable

Absolutely. Tell them not to resell the one you return. It sounds like a fire hazard.

Reply to
mm