Drywall problem to reoccur?

Hi,

When this type of problem occurs after the surface was primed and painted:

and the problem is addressed by adding compound, repriming and repainting - is the problem fixed permanently or is it likely to reoccur?

Thanks!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

It looks to me like the tape is loose/bubbled. If that is the case, you must cut the loose tape away and re bed a new layer of tape.

Reply to
marson

It looks as though the tape was not installed properly. You need to remove it and retape. Try using the mesh this time.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the picture. I don't understand how someone got texture on the wall without getting it on the corner tape. If the tape went on after, as in a repair, how did they keep the compound from obscuring the texture adjacent to the tape?

It does look like the tape bubbled, then it's as Marson said, but it is possible that they didn't smooth out the compound under the tape so there's a solid bond but just more compound than needed to attach the tape. In that case you'd just have to add more compound.

See if the tape is loose or if there is space behind - pop a bubble if you can. That will tell you what you need to do.

RicodJour

It appears that the corner was taped, but wasn't finished as well as you'd like it to be. If that's the case, you can use a 5" joint knife (putty knife) to apply joint compound. Do one side and let it dry before doing the other. Without seeing what else is on the wall, my guess is that the taper assumed that there would be a cabinet in that corner covering up the angle.

If the tape is bubbled (not adhered) you'll need to remove it and retape. Don't use fiberglass mesh tape. Paper tape is stronger and much easier to use in this case.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

It appears the texture was rolled rather than sprayed and the painter stayed away from the corner. Look down by the outlet box and pipe.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

That is how it looks to me, as well. It looks like the joint compound was applied on a rough surface, rather than like there are bubbles under it. If there are bubbles, they should sound a little hollow if you tap on them. If not bubbles, then careful sanding and appl. of joint compound might help get the surface a little flatter. It is tough to get the texture to match the rolled texture, but sponging on a thick primer might help match the rolled texture prior to final coat.

Reply to
Norminn