drywall mud recipe

Thanks everyone for the info and the video link. I've got the tape using the mud as it came out of the bucket. This weekend I'll work on the skin coat by adding a little water to the mud. Then I'll finish it. the following weekend. Of course sanding in between coats. Then of course, there's priming and painting. Soo much fun to look forward to....lol

Robin

Good luck with your project...There is nothing like the feeling of completing a job and knowing you did it yourself and it looks good...

Reply to
benick

Yeah, like mixing in a pan by hand is better, like you suggested! LMAO!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Tony L.

They're asking about mixing mud. What in the world would make you believe they already have the tools to do so?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! A paddle mixer, and they don't know how to mix mud. LMAO!!!!!! GOOD ONE!

Reply to
Tony L.

I just didn't want to confuse the OP...Nuff said...Before drywall there was plaster with wood fiber or going way back horse/animal hair plaster...And paneling in the 60's and 70's with shag carpet...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Hey Einstein, you should know enough to let em know, you don't sand "All Purpose".

Just so you know, you knock down the edges, and top coat with a topping.

Don't be giving out information, if you don't know WTF you're doing.

Reply to
Tony L.

You are an idiot...Don't go away mad , just go away...

Reply to
benick

Never saw anyone mixing 20 or 30 minute setting compound then. You may learn something when you do.

Reply to
Tony L.

Wow, what great come back to show your intelligence on compounds. Bravo!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

Reply to
Tony L.

Yea , me either ..I can't stop laughing...A cake mixer...ROFLMAO...The guy is an idiot..One step away from my kill file...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Bye , bye assclown...welcome to my kill file...You're # 5..

Reply to
benick

LMAO!!!! Caught you with your lack of knowledge, and I'm the assclown. LMAO!!!!!

Expand your knowledge base, that way you can share it. Instead of making stuff up, as you go along.

Reply to
Tony L.

Yeah, thousands of other idiots like me, who take advantage of this guy named Edison, instead of mixing by hand. I'd really like to see you mix setting compounds by hand. Oh wait, you're the guy who doesn't know WTF they're talking about, especially compounds. Silly me!!!

I'll bet you still swear by using a handsaw, instead of using power tools, electric, gas, or battery.

Wake up, I realize you did stuff by hand 50 years ago, it's time to at least step into the 60's!

Reply to
Tony L.

Let us know the final results and your experience. Many posters never come back and follow up. It is appreciated to know how things work out.

BTW, I would paint with white/light paint for a garage. SWMBO wanted one garage painted, she picked "banana yellow". Just a change in the color brought out all the imperfections in the finished drywall. White paint will show fewer flaws in the finish. Hey, she painted it :-\

Reply to
Oren

I agree...Ben Moore High Hide Flat white or any light color works wonders...LOL..I did a quicky CHEAP 2 coats of mud , no sanding on a garage ceiling (fire requirement for living space above) and it looked pretty good with that paint...I was pleasantly surprised as was my friend...LOL...

Reply to
benick

I won't be learning by using a cake mixer for a fast setting material. Never have and never will!

Reply to
Oren

Mud straight out of the bucket is fine for filling big gaps, but you certainly can't do good finish work that way. It must be thinned down either in the bucket or individual batches in the tray.

Steve Barker

Mix your mud thoroughly, a mixer chucked in an electric drill works great unless you're mixing a small amount. With a very clean and dry metal teaspoon pick up as much drywall compound as possible. Turn it

90 degrees and start counting. When it drops at 3 seconds, it's just right for taping. If you add more water and stir, clean and dry the teaspoon again before you test. If you want to tecture a wall or stipple a ceiling make it thicker. The last drywall coat should be slightly thinner.
Reply to
Phisherman

I'll readily admit, I;m no pro, but one thing I've learned from a guy who is .. .. add a FEW drops of DAWN Liquid Dishwashing Detergent to the bucket of mud. It lowers surface tension, makes the compound more "creamy", and enhances the workability.

Reply to
"<<<

I recently put up drywall in my garage (two wall and ceiling). I started to do the taping and mudding part and I have a question about the consistency of the mud. The five gallon bucket of mud says to add water to get the correct consistency. Being that this is my first major drywall project, I'm not sure what consistency to look for. Does anyone have a recommendation for the amount of water to add to a five gallon bucket of mud? or how to gauge the correct consistency?

Robin

Mix your mud thoroughly, a mixer chucked in an electric drill works great unless you're mixing a small amount. With a very clean and dry metal teaspoon pick up as much drywall compound as possible. Turn it

90 degrees and start counting. When it drops at 3 seconds, it's just right for taping. If you add more water and stir, clean and dry the teaspoon again before you test. If you want to tecture a wall or stipple a ceiling make it thicker. The last drywall coat should be slightly thinner.

I'll readily admit, I;m no pro, but one thing I've learned from a guy who is .. .. add a FEW drops of DAWN Liquid Dishwashing Detergent to the bucket of mud. It lowers surface tension, makes the compound more "creamy", and enhances the workability.

Horse Hockey...All it does is make the room smell better and your eyes burn when you sand it...Old drywallers liked to use it to cover up the beer and pot oder on them when they came back from break and lunch...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Sorry, a taping knife is NEVER used with plaster. Plastering is done with a hard steel trowel similar to a concrete trowel and the plaster is maneuvered on a plasterer's hawk.

There are some drywall finishers who do use a special concrete type trowel that has a slight arc designed into it, especially on butt joints. This, again, requires a hawk.

Reply to
DanG