Drywall Joints Showing - Sometimes

Yes, you should have, but that's water under the bridge.

Yes, it is. Drywall primer at this stage is pretty well pointless. It's intended for application on bare drywall, to provide a substrate for the finish paint.

No, it's not too late for that. Just make sure you don't use a short-nap roller cover this time...

Not any more -- unless you used flat paint, it isn't going to adhere very well. And unless you're *really* good at applying drywall mud, it's going to look a lot worse than it does now.

I disagree. How long was the nap on the roller cover you used originally? Probably 1/4" or 3/16", right? Try another coat, using a roller cover with a

3/8" or 1/2" nap instead. That will leave enough texture in the painted surface that it will probably hide the variations.
Reply to
Doug Miller

With joints that are so noticeable, I think it's possible he has more than just a sanding texture and primer issue, like maybe the joints are not flat with the drywall.

If he wants to experiment, I see no harm in just applying another coat or two to just the area around one of the jointswith a 3/8 nap roller as you suggested. Featering the paint out as he moves away. I think there are 3 possibilities of what will happen:

A - It fixes it and it blends in with the rest of the ceiling

B - It fixes the joint issue, but now the newly painted area of about a foot or so does not blend in well enough with the rest of the ceiling, in which case he can just paint the whole ceiling.

C - It doesn't fix it at all, in which case I'd say there is something' wrong with the joints beyond the painting.

If it comes to skim coating the entire ceiling, I'd just bite the bullet and call in a pro. Won't cost all that much and I think this is one job where years of experience pay off.

Reply to
trader4

Perhaps -- but if that were the case, he'd be seeing some shadows, too, which he hasn't reported.

I agree down the line.

Reply to
Doug Miller