Drywall install question

replying to clare, Iggy wrote: Nope, they were just taught wrong by those who were taught wrong, etc. What "good reason" have they sold you or what do you agree with?

Reply to
Iggy

All the explanation is in the referenced home moaners site.

You are WRONG - accept it.

Reply to
clare

That would not be 100% accurate. This is the ICC structural code chapter 7 Footnote to TABLE 721.6.2(1) TIME ASSIGNED TO WALLBOARD MEMBRANES (Goes on to list various types of wallboard and the fire rating)

"b. Gypsum wallboard installed over framing or furring shall be installed so that all edges are supported..."

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to clare, Iggy wrote: So you don't have a good reason. Check out my list , where I fully and factually destroy the *lies* of Horizontal:

Iggy

replying to gfretwell, Iggy wrote: Ouch! You can't throw that requirement at a Horizontal, it means they're wrong...they don't like that and they'll just refer to the ASTM's laughable error that they refuse to fix or even acknowledge.

Reply to
Iggy

I checked it out. I don't agree with you, as explained previously.

Reply to
clare

Thank you for the reference. In my eyes this makes vertical install mandatory... But then again what do I know...

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Tekkie®, Iggy wrote: You know you don't want to have cracks and to die being burned alive and that your place may very well not burn to the ground, taking all of your stuff with it.

Reply to
Iggy

Only if there needs to be a fire rating.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you put firestops in the framing all edges can be supported in horizontal installation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good point

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
clare

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote: Yep, but I couldn't sell that here either and was told I'm wrong. The laughable "pros" only do a good and proper job *IF* it's specified...it's "screw everyone" until that specification shows up. It's called Cutting Corners, if it's hidden it's skipped and if the hack's work has to be fixed then it's just a price increase for needlessly forcing wrong into right. You've got wheels, why would you want tires too is the mentality.

Reply to
Iggy

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Most fire-stops are positioned ______-------_______ for nailing purposes through the studs. I am not a builder but expressing what I have seen.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Now that they all use nail guns, toe nailing those fire stops in is not just for seasoned carpenters.

Reply to
gfretwell