Dryer vent condensation

I have a metal vent pipe about 1 ft. long going from the dryer, to a dryer vent hookup made of metal flashing and a plastic flapper. My problem is that I have condensation on the outide surface on the 1 ft. metal pipe inside the house, and it turns to ice in the winter. I would like to insulate this pipe.Can I use ordinary unbacked inulation and then wrap with duct tape? If not ,what can be used to insulate the pipe. Thank You

Reply to
Den

Hi,

Make sure the flapper door is closing properly and not sticking open allowing cold outside air in. Regular pipe wrap can be used, metal like duct tape works well to tape things together.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I agree. In that case just insulating the pipe is like putting a band aid on a compound fracture. Might be best to replace the hood altogether and/or try shield it outside from direct wind.

Wrapping it in tape would likely reduce its insulating properties. After you've fixed the hood flapper, you could get some large pipe foam insulation as Jeff suggested from a local HVAC supplier or just leave plain Fiberglas insulation around it (without covering it).

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I agree to check teh flapper for lint - however in the real cold weather the pipe will still get quite cold & s/b insulated to prevent condensation dripping.

You might want to tape up any seams on the metal pipe with aluminum duct sealing tape to prevent the moist dryer air inside the pipe from making its way into the insulation you will be wrapping over the pipe.