dry well cost?

I don't see an ecological hazard either. Looks like your posting host is in Naples, FL, at 6 feet deep I guess you are lucky you did not hit water since last I heard the average elevation of Florida was 2 feet

-- but that's average and you must be higher.

As to all this code stuff, yea, be careful about putting lint and dirt into dirt. :-) Insofar as codes, I think a lot of it has to do with how much we want the government to micromanage our lives -- a government more interested in collecting fees and permit costs than anything of great "common good". Probably the worst pollutant you are putting out would be phosphates from the detergents.

I would SWAG that you saved about $300, but am sure that you easily could have paid well over a $1000 for the job depending on who you hired to do it and what they used.

Congratulations. Not only did you save some bucks but you have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself.

(For years I have seen the "what is your time worth" arguments. I wonder if these people calculate how much it costs for them to sleep each night.)

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Now that you mention it, I DO recall seeing an old press photo of Robert MacNamara wearing cloth diapers at a cabinet meeting.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Okay that's 57 blocks + backhoe rental, + 4 assistants + one strawboss + trench reinforcing walls + 3 cases of beer + 2 shovels +travel time + gas + invoicing fees+ porta potty rental

Hmmm, carry the 7 ,.......

Okay I would have charged you $18,356.39 + tax

Look at how much you saved by doing it yourself !!!!

Now show this post to your wife, and she will probably want a new sofa + bedroom set from all that money you saved

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I don't think it is even legal to sell phosphate detergent in Florida. I know they usually say "phosphate free" on them.

Reply to
gfretwell

If it is allowed by code. If not, it can cost him many times that for fines and correction.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

FACE wrote: .... There are many

Until you realize that clothes lint will obliterate drainage properties in your tiny little hole in the ground in no time.

There's a reason septic tanks are designed the way they are.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Someone else has mentioned the illegality of phosphates in Florida detergents, probably that is true. I also remember along about the

80s when popular detergents were being touted as "now phosphate free". I mentioned it in the post because that was about the worst thing I could think of as possibly coming from wash water. There are many things in this world worse than dumping wash water. :-)

FACE

Reply to
FACE

I did that in my old house. Int he summer, I just ran the drain hose out the window and watered my plants every day. Garden did great. I read that tip on some eco-friendly site, so I can't imagine it being truly harmful to the environment.

Angrie.Woman

I think if you'll check, most detergeants are phosphate free now. In fact, I was told that phosphates were illegal in Florida laundry soap, but that might be wrong.

Angrie.Woman

What hole? I just let it go on the surface under a banana tree. Bananas like mulch.

Reply to
gfretwell