Drive dump truck over lawn?

5 tons of stone is about 2 1/2 yards. You can move it in about 30-35 wheelbarrow loads but that is still tough on the grass.. Since you already have the spider coming to move the pavers, see if you can get the stone delivered in 1 yard bags that the spider can handle. (Similar to the .3 yard ones they sell bulk stone in at Lowes) .
Reply to
gfretwell

I'd be nervous about the truck right after rain and, especially crossing the neighbor's property. Have you checked with the delivery service, since they drive the truck? They might carry 2" lumber for the express purpose. Crossing any septic systems or other costly stuff?

Reply to
norminn

I don't, and more importantly, you shouldn't either. You really, really don't want to use the neighbors property for access. If the damage to her lawn is not exactly what she imagines - Murphy's Law being what it is - she won't be pleased. If you are on good terms with the neighbor, keep it that way and find a better option.

That's where the issue comes in. Your idea of best and hers will almost assuredly vary.

You are blowing this thing _way_ out of proportion and focusing on the wrong things. You should have mentioned the forklift in your first post as well. You are making it difficult to help you by giving information in dribs and drabs. Depending on what type of forklift the guy uses, it can damage your lawn as much if not more than the truck would. The piggy-back forklifts can weigh three or four tons on their own, and that rear rotating wheel can dig a nice hole for you.

You have to move some stuff and some weight, but it's not all that much stuff and not all that much weight. Crushed stone is around 100 pounds per cubic foot. A high school kid can move 200 or 250 pounds per load, a day labor closer to twice that with the appropriate wheelbarrow. A couple of high school kids and a couple of wheelbarrows would have the stuff moved in a day. A day labor would move the stuff by himself in a day. The wheelbarrow will not be damage-free for the lawn either, but the 1/2" OSB will be fine for that.

So your decsion is if it's worth a hundred or a hundred and a half to hire someone to move the stuff for you, or are you relations with your neighbor and both of your lawns not worth that much to you. To me it seems to be a no-brainer.

Someone posted about just filling in the ruts. That doesn't work very well. That compacted soil will not stay compacted forever without a load on it. If you add a couple or three inches of dirt to fill it in, eventually the compacted soil will rise up a bit and you'll have a couple of humps running down the lawn. Someone else mentioned a This Old House episode - that's the right way to fix the ruts, but it's better to avoid the ruts in the first place. If, as someone else posted, you have that Princeton soil or whatever that gets rock hard when it's dry, then obviously you should just wait until it's dry.

RicodJour

Well i don't drive the trucks on the lawn often. AND i could really care less if i damage a damn tree root. JEEEEzeee.. Hell we put a new foundation under a house and cut several 4" roots CLEAN OFF and the tree is just fine. Not high on my priority list to worry about.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Since the plywood will be cracked, bent and otherwise useless afterwards, that can be quite an expensive method at todays plywood prices, even if the driver can keep on the sheets.

Reply to
EXT

And you'll need three strips for the piggy-back forklift.

RicodJour

Ever tried to fix dualie ruts? Believe me, you'd rather haul the rock. A driver got just slightly off our driveway and had to be towed out. We threw bags and bags of dirt at the ruts that were left, and it made little difference. What helped was time, lots of it.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I for one don't understand what Pat was saying either. Aside from dragging tire pressure into the picture, I don't see how tire pressure actually got factored into contact area of the tires on the ground to give any more realistic an estimate of the effects. Pat just made another guess as to the exact area. Like Steve, I can tell you a truck with 5 tons of load on a wet lawn isn't a good idea.

Reply to
trader4

Let's face it - no one understands what Pat is saying! Sorry, Pat. ;)

I was merely referring to the "technical jargon" comment. Assuming that the truck's tires are within the normal range, there's not going to be a big effect, and it certainly won't have nearly the effect of the difference between a wet and dry lawn.

RicodJour

Follow some of the ideas posted here that seem apropos to your area. Overall, don't sweat the damage. Nature has a way of healing things, if you just ignore it. Freeze-thaw cycles, wet-dry cycles, all have the effect of leveling out irregularities. Right now I can see out my window the pristine lawn my neighbor has in the area where a couple of fully loaded ready-mix trucks delivered the concrete for his new garage floor. Give Nature a little help and let her do the rest.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

And that is where the whole argument and analysis is wrong. Just because the tire is inflated to 30 PSI internally, does not mean there is 30 PSI applied to the contact area of the tire. I take a spare tire that's inflated to 30 psi and simply place it upright on the floor. According to your analysis, there is 30 PSI pressing against the floor across the contact area. Now I inflate it to 40PSI. According to your analysis, the contact area just got drastically smaller and the floor is now supporting 40PSI. But of course, we know that just isn't so. A tire inflated to 30 lbs, weighs what? About 30lbs or so? Meaning if your analysis was correct, the tire would have a contact area of a mere 1 square inch.

In your example, each square inch of tire is actually holding whatever the total weight of the car is divided by the total contact area. Clearly that has some relationship to the pressure in the tire, but it's not simply equal to the internal tire pressure.

Reply to
trader4

Hey everyone - just to close the loop for anyone searching in the future, here is the rest of the story: I was actually hoping the crushed stone would arrive before the forklift - and I would just find a way to get it onto a tarp on a pallet or two...but the forklift came first. He walked on the ground and assessed it to be okay...the wettest spot was on my own lawn - and he did leave a couple ruts about

2-3" deep...but didn't tear the lawn up at all. And that was a 7,000lb forklift and a 1.5ton load. When the dump truck came - his rig is a 26,000lb truck, with another 10,000 of material and he wouldn't even attempt it. He said that the 1" plywood would do absolutely nothing except get pulverized. He dumped on a tarp on the lawn and we moved by hand - took about 80 trips with the wheelbarrow less than heaping. My back is definitely sore today. Thanks again.
Reply to
princetonroom

Your back will feel better the next time you do it. ;) Glad it worked out for you.

RicodJour