Drilling

Once in a while an old memory from my work days pops into my head. One day I saw my boss up on a ladder drilling a hole in an I-beam in order to mount a hoist.

I walked by again and he was still there making no progress. When he saw me he asked. "How the hell do you drill a hole?"

He was starting out with a 3/4" bit !

What a freaking idiot. I told him to start small and make increasingly larger holes.

Now 30 years later, I'm wondering if he ever had to use a hole saw. :)

Reply to
philo

Yeah, but good luck centering a hole saw if you've made a pilot hole too small.

Reply to
TimR

TRULY - LOL!!!!

Good one.

Reply to
Bob F

He was dumb enough to do so :)

Reply to
philo

With the hole saws that I have, I can stack the smaller saw inside the larger saw so that when I approach the area that needs to be enlarged, the smaller saw fits into the existing hole and serves to center the new larger hole.

Not sure if that makes sense, but it has worked very well for me.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Something like this?

Dean

No, more like this:

Scott Lurndal

My post was meant as a joke.

Reply to
philo

No, like this:

While I was looking for that, I found a few other ways to enlarge a hole.

Jim Joyce

Not quite what I had in mind, but that's an interesting tool.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The blades are just too thin in that tool, I found when I used to have one. The Milwaulkee looks very robust.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I enlarged a hole once, but I don't remember how I did it. I dont' r emember where the hole was. I hope I figure it out before the next hole arrives.

It might have been like this one, above.

Reply to
micky