Double pole switch wiring

When I do something contrary to the directions I am always a bit nervous...

I wired up a double pole switch today. The directions say the load goes to the light terminals, and the line goes to the dark. Since my line comes in from the top and the load goes out the bottom, it was much more convenient to wire the switch backwards. I can't see how it could possibly matter; am I overlooking something? (No, the next guy won't be confused; the load is an outlet 5" away.)

Reply to
toller

What size and type of douple pole switch is it? If it is a snap switch that is comletely enclosed then there is no problem. If it is a larger enclosed switch contained in a cabinet then there is a real danger. Please advise which type you are asking about.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
HorneTD

Sorry... A 30a snap switch. So, no problem, right? thanks.

Reply to
toller
040809 1153 - toller posted:

Back in the old days -- early 1900's -- when electricity was in its infancy, there were electrical boards with open knife switches, usually 2-pole. The switch was mounted so that to open the switch you pull the handle down and out of the blade contacts. It was wired so that the hot line was on the top and when the blades were pulled out the blades were no longer live, only the top section was live. Some of these switches were huge. The snap switch that you are considering is enclosed, so the safety factor of wiring the live wires at the top no longer applies.

Reply to
indago