Double Cut saw

Harbor Freight is promoting their new double-cut saw with two blades rotating in opposite directions.

Watching the video, I was impressed by how well it cut chain-mail for a potential armor alteration business.

Anyway, for what types of projects is this the tool-of-choice? Experiences anyone.

Thanks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Check out The Tool Review of this on youtube. It burned up. Never tripped the breaker.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I watched that video too. That tool is neither a time nor money saver. I can beat it with my Dremel and don't have to give up any room on my work bench either.

Reply to
Charlie

Me three. I watched that video and couldn't believe how long it takes to sharpen each tooth of the chain. Leave the chain on the saw and use a dremel with a stone. Only remove the chain when it is worn out and can't be sharpened anymore.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

It it's the video I just saw, the saw had obviously seen heavy use before the video was shot

Reply to
HeyBub

No experience, just recall a local (or at least as local as we get if

200 mi and a repeater station is "local" :) ) TV station that does a "Does It Work?" segment had a respectable handyman/general construction type guys give one of the TV-ad ones a workout for a couple of months and report.

They liked it for link fence, light pipe and such; it's worthless in wood. The handyman added it to his kit; the construction guy said it was ok for what it was but didn't fit his work enough to be on his wish list.

Anybody's guess on longevity; most of that class of stuff isn't made for hard use and quality control is generally pretty iffy so any given one may or may not be up to par.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks. To me, the saw resembled a solution looking for a problem.

Reply to
HeyBub

Me 4. The only time I can see a use for this is if you had more than one chain for the saw. Sharpen those that are not attached, then use one at a time as they become dull. If you only had one chain, then the file and dremel would be used with the chain still attached to the saw. Kinda like the Drill Doctor. If you had a bunch to sharpen, the DD will help, but if only one to sharpen, the bench grinder will do the job. I have resharpened drill bits using just the bench grinder. It's just a matter of learning the correct angle and turn.

Reply to
willshak