Doorbell Continuously rings- (but not a short)

Yeah. The LED sounds less likely now that I think about it. It wouldn't act as a short unless the current limiting series resistor had failed, and if that happened the LED should burn out and go open, stopping the chime.

Reply to
TimR

As others have already mentioned, you probably bought a lighted button. The filament in the bulb is conducting enough current to trigger your doorbell.

I encountered this same situation a few months ago at my in-laws. They have a battery operated doorbell that wouldn't support a light anyway. So I just cut the leads to the light on the button. It works fine now.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband
[snip]

Once I accidentally connected a LED to 12V without a resistor. There was an immediate POP sound and half the plastic around the LED disappeared.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

replying to micky, Ranger wrote: I am having the same problem. My old buttons are lighted but not LED. The new button has LED. Perhaps this is the problem?

Reply to
Ranger

Ranger-

I missed the previous message.

I would not expect it to make any difference, but you might swap the wires to the button to be sure.

If that does not correct the problem but disconnecting the button stops the ringing, the LED's current limiting resistor has too low a resistance for that doorbell.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

That is because it was posted over *two years ago* on that silly homeownershub web forum. Those people don't know how to read DATES!

Made me wonder if "Ranger's" doorbell has been ringing all those years.

Reply to
Sam Hill

when i was 11 or 12 years old our doorbell started ringing at odd times with no one at the door. it was driving my grandma nuts.

i happened to be in the basement when it rang. the water heater turned on and the gas line moved ding dong......

the water heater had been replced just before this, the gas line touched the door bell wire and shorted it out.

i was very proud of my finding and fixing it, put a wood shim too keep the gas line fine from contacting the wire, and taped up the wires so it could never happen again.....

Reply to
bob haller

I see the problem as much more that they don't know how to quote. This is a rare case in which, if you include the subject line -- and I think posts should make sense without reading subject line - the post is understandable.. But he said "I am having the same problem" without saying what the problem is. Bad habit.

Sometimes answering old posts as they do so often is ridiculous, but here the poster has the problem now.

You should have been proud.

Reply to
Micky

I've noticed the people over there on that questionable site are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. They can ask some of the silliest questions and many seem to be incapable of doing any type of research on their own.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

button cracked and fell out) The doorbell worked fine before the button broke.

button, the doorbell chimes repeatedly. This happens at contact- without the actual button being pressed.

(screwdriver, or the copper piece from inside the new button, or each other)

trying to make it work (remove diode, etc.).. same thing happens with second button.

wires touch each other...only repeatedly.

I had the same problem the switch was a lighted LED. I replaced it with a plain button and the [problem was resolved

Reply to
WEDGE

Try reversing the wires on the button?

Reply to