DOOR/SCREEN OPENING

My neighbor is having a storm door installed.

Her front door has the knob on the left. ( standing outside ) They've sold her a storm door with the latch on the right.

Somehow this seems awkward !

It seems you'd want both doors to have the knob on the same side ( the left )

Yet, driving around the neighborhood, most stormdoors are installed with latch opposite the main door knob.....

Am I nuts ? Or have all these doors been installed backwards ?

???

Reply to
Anonymous

It depends...

My front doors and the doors into the garage both hinge on the same side, but my walkout basement doors hinge opposite each other. That's due to the traffic pattern through each door.

The interior doors all open against a wall, so that's a no brainer. The basement and garage storm doors open away from the direction you have to walk so you don't have to go around the storm door when exiting. i.e. in the garage you have to turn left when exiting, so the storm swings to the right. When exiting the basement, you can go straight or turn right, so the storm swings to the left.

The front storm *could* open either way since there is a railing on both sides of the stoop, but if it was hinged opposite the interior door you would have to reach/walk diagonally across the opening to enter or exit. It just seems more convenient to open the first door and then reach straight ahead to open the other one.

BTW...when I first moved in, the basement door opened into the room as opposed to against the wall, directly in line with the passage way door into the main part of the basement. The door could only open 90 degrees, so you had to go around it when it was open. I guess it wasn't a "no-brainer" to whoever installed it. When I replaced the old wooden one with a steel one, I hung it so it opened against the wall.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"" wrote

Depends on if both doors open the same way.

Not nessecarily. If the front door opens inwards (most do) and the screen outwards (never seen one that didnt) then it's common to have them on opposite sides.

Grin, it's ok. In my house, they are opposite sides. The front door opens into the house to lay flush to the wall (towards the fireplace catty-cornered to it). The screen opens the other way againt a small outthrust. If the screen opened the other way (hinges same sde as door), it would swing into a small built in ground level planter area as well as block the walkway from the driveway to the front door.

Reply to
Cshenk

Hi, I'd say that will be unusual. I wouldn't do that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang