Dog Run

In need of creating a dog run. Home Depot has an example of what I have in mind. CROWN BOLT LLC CHAIN DOG RUN KIT SKU # 274954 Internet #

100349311

The kit is 75 Ft length but anticipate needing 100-125 Ft. Wondering if two of these kits can be easily connected to each other?

Along these lines would it be easier to obtain bulk vinyl covered wire, connectors, etc., and create one from scratch? If so ideas of what to ask for at either a hardware, big box, or other store would be handy.

Thanks

Reply to
McGee

Buy the wire in the length you need, a splice will just get the dog a place to get hung up. I am not sure 150' is really a an option tho. That is a lot of wire to go point to point.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd suggest going to a Farm and Ranch supply for better selection of fencing and cheaper price. Try Google for some locations. typically found in smaller cities. And u don't need plastic coated, galvanized should work fine.

lee h

Reply to
lee houston

I've installed a lot of chain link fencing and if you do it right you shouldn't even notice the splice (it's easy). I would suggest just buying the fence, post, brackets, gates, etc and building it yourself. If you have a local Mernards, they have a good selection of fencing supplies along with instructions and are reasonably priced. Good luck,

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

If you're searching online- 'Dog Trolley' seems to be the preferred nomenclature. I went through that last year and couldn't figure out why there wasn't more discussion of 'overhead dog runs' which is what they were called 30 yrs ago when I last had one.

No. The trolley part has to go over a smooth run. I see 100 footers on Amazon. Keep in mind that as the trolley gets longer, you give the dog more leverage so if he's in the middle he is exerting more force on the cable and its anchors.

My lowes has the cable and attachments-- but I'd be more likely to buy a 100 or longer online if I couldn't find one local. [try Petsmart, Petco, Walmart, etc.?]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Google 100' dog trolley. I don't think they make a longer one, but you can get the cable in any lengths from the big box stores. You're going to get a lot of sag at that length, so place the trolley high enough so no one will walk into it in the dark. Do not wrap the cable end around a tree, you'll strangle it. Use a large steel eye bolt screwed into the tree. You might be better off just putting a post in the ground for a shorter run.

Reply to
Willshak

Read the OP's message again. No fence was mentioned.

Reply to
Willshak

Another thought--- I have a 75' cable but have it hooked into lengths of chain on either end. On one end it keeps the dog out of the flower bed, and at the other end it keeps him from wrapping himself around a light post.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht