Does anyone know what 'kind' of threads are on a typical portable gas can?

Releasing the pressure BEFORE you tip the can completely solves that problem, and saves almost all the gas that would have evaporated into the atmosphere between uses.

Reply to
Bob F

forgot to release the pressure first. The old style allowed you to simply pour the gas... but apparently that was too logical and easy for the enlightened/woke crowd out there and had to be gutted and regulated.

I have one of the newer cans and spill more gas out if it than I ever did with the older ones.

I was going to put a spout off an older can on the new version. They are the same diameter,but they use corse threads on the new can and finer threads on the older can.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Glad I still have two of the old, pre-EPA cans. I haven't had to use the new ones, but I see lots of people reporting problems. This sounds like where the EPA screwed us with the new carbs on small engines where you can't adjust them. The tree huggers figure that we're all stupid and just want to make our engines run rough and spew more emissions. So, they locked them. Now when the engines run rough, spew more emissions and we can't turn the simple screw to fix it. Thank you EPA. I had a Sears leaf blower, I used it for ten years on half choke because of that.Ran better on half than no choke, but I'm sure it was spewing more emissions than if i could have turned that screw....

Reply to
trader_4

If you ever need a new gas can that works well, Eagle makes them:

Refreshing to see you not blame Trump for EPA carbs too.

Reply to
Joe 30330

I have 3 of the older 5 gallon cans and 1 one gallon can for the gas/oil mix. Have one of the newer 1 galllon cans for a different gas/oil mix and spill more gas out of it for the weed eater and leaf blower than aoo the others combined.

Some of the carbs on the newer small gngines I haave can be adjusted, but you have to have a special tool. I could not buy the tool I needed for one of them, so I took out the adjustment screw and cut a slot in it with my Dremmal tool.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Amazon sells the tool for the Walbro carbs

Reply to
gfretwell

  All my old 5 gallon cans have failed ... so I bought 2 new 5 gallon units . Took a little experimentation but I've figured out these that I have . There's a latch that you must depress to unlock the spout , the tip pushes into the main part of the spout . Before I unlatch or pour , I tip the can to be sure any rain/condensation is out of the spout . I then relieve the pressure by either pushing in the spout or loosening the nut . Only then do I insert the spout into the fuel tank - with the spout oriented correctly the little "hook" on the tip will catch at the bottom of the fuel opening . Unlatch , push , and pour away ... and when the tank is full , the fuel blocks air from entering the can which stops the flow . Done carefully you won't spill a drop .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have modified a few to make them less annoying (such as repeatedly closing when you're in the middle of pouring), but I prefer the simple caps and spouts (and vents) from:

They say these spouts are for old cans only, but they have worked for all the new cans I've tried them on (including some from Wal-Mart called "Ameri-Can" using the yellow caps). I have filled a vehicle from a

5-gallon can several times, usually with NO visible sill on the concrete.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Wow, that's a good find, good to know, thanks!

Reply to
trader_4