Do "roots in the sewer in the past" require disclosure?

Can one put a home up for sale, with the specific disclaimer "as is"?

I'm in a 100-year-old house in a declining neighborhood, that I've owned since 1988.

It has LOTS of problems. Such as

- messy combination of knob-and-tube/BX wiring (60 amp service w/fuses). Looks to have been "converted" in the 40's or 50's, don't know how much is BX and if any of the K&T is still in use. Almost all house wiring is "2-wire" (no grounds).

- siding old, loose in spots, really needs to be torn off and replaced.

- windows all old in need of replacement.

- main bath shower has loose and missing tiles, ceiling plaster peeling (really needs an entirely new bath)

- sewer needs root cleanout every 3-4 years

- cellar entrance needs replacement, back steps need replacement

- 40-50 year old wallpaper everywhere -- awful stuff

- kitchen looks to have had some updating in 40's or 50's, but needs replacement

Over the years, I've had work done when it absolutely needed to be done, but I have refrained from a full remodeling (which would be EXTENSIVE) because I see no point in dumping money into the house in a neighborhood that isn't what it used to be (the small city I live in has been taken over by illegals).

The house is in an area where 2-family (or multi-family) conversions are common. In fact, the house next door (same size as mine) was converted into a "Mexican hotel", doubled in size, property paved over -- a mess.

I have no illusions about what this place is worth. I'll sell it for what it brings and be satisfied with what I get.

I'm thinking this could be a decent 2-family conversion (it's a 2-story and the interior could be easily "convertible") -- IF whoever did it was willing to rip out the entire interior down to the framing, and then do new wiring, put in new interior walls, insulate, reside the exterior, new windows, etc. (The roof is new in 2012 -- couldn't wait any longer). But literally EVERYTHING inside would have to be rebuilt along with the exterior.

When it's time to sell, I'll tell any potential buyer everything I can, but I'm sure there could be problems I don't see.

With a house in need of this much work, how does the seller proceed? Disclose everything about which you know, and then say that the sale must be "as is"?

Reply to
John Albert

Certainly. It may have different meanings depending on custom and law.

It depends on where you are. How about discussing it with a realtor?

Reply to
krw

Sell it "as is - bulldozer not included" - you are basically selling a lot. No disclosure required - period. If they want to salveage the building, that is THEIR concern - not yours.

Reply to
clare

Unless you've read the disclosure laws for the state involved, the above is just nonsense. How do you know what the law says or doesn't say? And any place where the neighborhood is DECLINING, isn't generally one where the lot is worth more without a house than it is with a house on it. Like someone is gonna buy it to build a new house on it? His idea of it being a possible fixer upper into a two family, etc. makes more sense.

Reply to
trader4