Do reduced flow shower heads increase potential for leaks?

Seems to me that flow restriction would create a back pressure in the plumbing upstream of the shower head which would be greater than a free flow head. In particular, a leak could be created at the gooseneck connection behind the wall, which would be undetectable until major damage has been done to the structure in the wall. Would removing the flow restrictor device or using a non flow restricted head help. It would provide a more pleasant shower. But that's just me.

How would one go about removing the restricting feature if I wanted to go that route?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable responses.

Reply to
good ol' Bob

On Feb 6, 4:42=EF=BF=BDpm, "good ol' Bob" wrot= e:

they come out very easy.

as for leaks it probably doesnt matter since any shower head creates a restriction,

shower without flow restrictor much better. thats what we do.

its just a small easy to remove piece of plastic, has to be easy to remove in some areas low water pressure requires flow restrictor removal

Reply to
hallerb

Doesn't matter. The most pressure in your pipes is developed when the water is shut off everywhere in the house, if something is leaking it needs to be fixed, messing with the shower head will not help it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If your plumbing is installed correctly the shower head pipes should hold back pressure as well as the pipes under your sink when the faucet is closed. If there IS a leak you will find out quickly and get it repaired. I have a button on my water saver shower head that allows me to shut off the water while soaping up to save even more water. It does not make the pipes leak. It works great because the water is the same temperature when I turn it back on, no messing with the mixing hot and cold valves. Not that I need to save water that much with my own well, I save HOT water energy.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

The back pressure is minimal and won't cause leaks. The gooseneck should be able to withstand a minimum of 20 times the pressure it will see.

As for better showers, you need the right type of head. Don't confuse flow with comfort. My low flow head is superior to most any shower I've ever used. It is a Shower Saver brand and has a nice pattern.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

personally i really like the adjustable shower heads on a hose, allows picking a soft flow or massage.

the real advantage of these is ease of cleaning shower. makes it so easy.

i removed the flow restrictor, and have a delta temperature flow valve, and dont always use full flow.

flow restrictors are easy to remove or reinstall. directions come with new shower head

Reply to
hallerb

have a link to yours?

Reply to
me

waterpick or some such, available everywhere like home depot and even target.

Reply to
hallerb

Never seen a 'gooseneck' connection inside a wall. Is this something being done these days? In my experience the in-wall plumbing from the faucet to the shower has always been solid piping, and the only real option was what was screwed into the pipe fitting right where the shower arm exits the wall.

Reply to
Mark