Low flow shower valves?

I'm rebuilding my shower. I'm also putting in new shower valves. I like seperate hot and cold valves, so I'll also need to put in a pressure difference valve. My question is:

I DON'T want low flow valves. How do I find out if the valves I purchased are low flow? Can I remove it?

Also,

What should I look for in the pressure difference valve? Are they better or the same as the temperature difference valves?

Reply to
smith_bp101

I'm not sure you can even buy them without the flow restrictors anymore. So far at least, the faucets etc. I've purchased, it's been easy to pull them out and just throw them away. Eventually I imagine they'll be built into them so you can't alter them; love being protected from myself, don't you? One thing to remember though; if you remove the flow restrictors, your shower will be more prone to temp changes if someone turns a hot or cold on full flow at another faucet, unless your plumbing is designed perfectly.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Why?

Flow and shower comfort are no necessarily related. I have a low flow shower head by Saverwhower that gives me a much better feel that any of the high water use heads. It is not the amount of water, but what you do with it that counts.

Can't help you here but I think most any of the new one have an anti-scald feature of some sort. Mine is about 10 years old. If you turn on the hot water in another room, I will get a cold shower, but if you flush a toilet or otherwise turn on cold water, the pressure will drop but the temperature will not exceed where it was set.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:L1XDe.2528$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

Yes,I use "the Incredible Head" and it puts out a narrow cone of water that means all the water coming out hits your body instead of the walls and shower curtain.And it only cost IIRC,$5USD.

I believe it's the shower head that restricts the GPM,not the water valves.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I don't take long showers so water consumption isn't really an issue. However when I do shower, I do it quick and prefer a the full shower head (and consumption).

Reply to
smith_bp101

hey that's the same one I'm using and love it!!!

I like the fact I can reach up and flip the switch and turn water off..... to save consumption. Such as when I'm shaving in the shower and don't need the flow at the moment

Reply to
me

That's what drill bits are for. Many of the restrictor heads can be greatly improved with a slight oversize.

That said, it's amazing the difference in water consumption betweeen an old "hi-flo" head and the newer restrictor heads. I had a roommate years ago that used a full-flowing head in his shower. He would drain a 0 gallon water heater in 20-30 min. (he liked long showers)! When he was out one day I replaced the head with a new restrictor head that was also a massager, so I could sell him on the idea. I never ran out of hot water again, even after 2 people took showers in succession.

Reply to
MrC1

It is the shower head that restricts flow. If in doubt get one that is for shower/tub, and stub off the unused tub connection. There should be no flow restrictions on tub filling.

Yes, the temperature limiting factors are plastic pieces on the front side that you can take off.

Modern valves use pressure balancing between hot and cold water to keep the temp from fluctuating due to other uses of water.

I'll say pick a popular brand name, so that replacement parts will be available in the future.

Reply to
John Hines

Many of the cheaper, off the shelf shower heads come with built in flow restrictors built in and hard-to-remove. I believe 2.5 GPM is the magic number.

As others have said though, shower comfort is not necessarily restricted along with the flow. If your water pressure is low, your going to feel a lack of force in your shower, no matter what.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber