Do I need to repair some rot in the sill when getting replacement windows?

Hi,

I have been getting some quotes on vinyl replacement windows and have a question.

Right now we have windows plus storm windows. There is some rot on the sills between the storm and the regular windows. After the storms are removed and the vinyl windows installed, any newly exposed wood will be capped in aluminum. The exterior trim and sills are already capped.

Is it necessary to replace the entire sill in this situation? Any rot will be under the new vinyl window and never see the light of day again. The new window would not be in contact with any of the rot.

I had one contractor say that it did not matter, that it would be covered up. I also had one that said that he would have to replace the entire sill and would cost an extra $150 per sill.

I don't know much about this kind of stuff but it doesn't seem like it should matter too much. The new window would be resting on good wood only. The sill doesn't seem like it's a structural element anyway. Any rot would be hidden forever.

What do you guys think? Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Well, I wouldn't replace the whole sill, but I probably would dig out the mushy stuff and plaster the spot over with epoxy, just on principle. Wood that is hidden away can still keep rotting, so you do wanna stabilize it, IMHO. I'm not a big fan of coil stock wraps on exterior trim- currently on my to-do list is a rotted wrapped fascia board, that water wicks behind from ice dams in a funny corner where one roof dies into another where addition meets original house. You can stick a finger behind the J-shaped wrap, and come up with wet wood crumbs. At one point, it channeled water over the soffit board over to the wall, under siding, and rotted out kitchen window. Previous owner replaced that, and sort of rebent the wrap to provide drip points. Not quite sure how to fix problem without reengineering the whole damn corner. Maybe I'll just drill weep holes in the wrap.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I agree.

And after the patch a good soaking with an insecticide before you cover it.

Reply to
deke

Thanks for the input guys. Not quite sure how many windows yet, it will depend on the prices. Thanks again,

Jason

Reply to
Jason