Do I need a third stringer for my deck stairs? (2023 Update)

And a center stringer is advised for long term durability but really depends on the load value.

Reply to
cshenk

Yes, I'd use either a third stringer, use 2 x 8s, or don't invite fat people over.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't think a third stringer is worth it.

I played 3rd string for the Otumwa Mudhens and I didn't help the team at all.

Reply to
micky

Smile! I was thinking also of an outdoor wheelchair ramp the local neighborhood built for a friend of mine. I was sort of 'project manager' I guess. We did it all with donations so no go-fund-me used. It took us months but we managed to make it so at all times, she could use it. It's 46inches wide on the ramp but the rails make the inner part 40 inches. Even though a 'ramp' it still uses a support like a stringer. We had a center one and 7 4x4 posts to support the central stringer.

Workers replacing hot water heaters and other heavy stuff can use it safely. Electric wheelchairs will not be a problem. She's not heavy but her electric wheelchair is. Guessing combined may be 300lbs?

Reply to
cshenk

Easier than that, just go by the address of remodeling construction companies and just ask them. They won't charge you just to tell you.

Reply to
bruce bowser

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:01:30 -0500, cshenk posted for all of us to digest...

Is that you Charlie Shenk? Where have you been hiding? Glad you're back.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Over 36” you require 4 stringers.

Reply to