Do I need a permit/inspection for any electrical work?

Worry about something you can control, fool.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Fascinating. Just fascinating. I have this image in my mind of a pasty, pimply-faced sunken chested scrawny 16 year old white kid who can't frighten a housefly who in his fantasy of fantasies wants to be a big robust black guy with a mohawk, feather earrings, lots of bling, and a propensity to scare the crap out of pasty, pimply-faced sunken-chested scrawny 16 year old white kids.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not getting a permit will NOT void your house insurance. If you screw something up, it is an accident just like falling asleep in bed with a cigarette etc. so your insurance will still cover your house.

Reply to
kevharper

So they cover suicide now? I wonder if the NY explosion the other day is covered....they say the doctor was trying suicide to keep his wife from getting a 9 million dollar home. Think they will pay?

Smoking in bed to me is a form of suicide..... I get it.. we won't pay life insurance, but we cover the house.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

One life insurance policy I saw specifically indicated that it excluded suicide for a two year period and otherwise covered it after that.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Most insurance policies I've seen exclude deliberate criminal acts by the policy holder so the building would likely not be covered. A life insurance policy would likely be valid baring any exclusion period.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

You retards are easily entertained.

One too many trips, eh retard?

Your delusions are meaningless. You are aware of that, aren't you?

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Building without a permit is not a criminal offense unless you are selling the service to a 3d party. I have never seen a policy that would keep you from collecting unless they could prove you intentionally committed arson. (like the guy in New York) I still wouldn't be surprised if his widow gets paid on the claim. I'm sure it will get reported either way. Making a mistake in handyman wiring has the same legal effect as plugging in defective christmas lights and setting the tree on fire. BTW getting a permit and having it inspected is no assurance that you didn't make a mistake. Inspectors take a quick look and go. Their workload prevents much more of a look. Around here they may start their day with 30 or 40 inspection cards.

Reply to
gfretwell

The NY case that was mentioned is what I was referring to. Likely homeowners insurance invalid and life insurance valid.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

"retard"? Sorry, I overestimated your age--make it about 12.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I call 'em as I see 'em.

Bhaaaawwwwaaaawaaaaa!!!

Another original brain fart.

Aren't you the creative one?

Don't worry, though.

Nobody expects much from people like you.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I didn't come here with "Fool fool fool" comments. So, that is not what I seek.

You made several replies with "fool" yet you return. I reiterate,, water seeks it's own level.

Reply to
Al Bundy

As an experiment to see if you come back with a sock puppet, .

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's obvious you wanted to join the fellowship of fools, fool. There. Feel better now, fool?

BTW, would you suggest somebody pull a permit to replace a switch and receptacle? (let's make it even more offical).

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Sock puppet?

Wow! Did you just make that up?

Your creativity is just flowing!

BTW, have you ever had an original thought in your whole pathetic life?

Don't worry, though.

Nobody expects much from people like you.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Let me get this straight, you would argue over a minor fee for a permit? The permit lets you receive a 2nd opinion on the work you have done. Seeing how it's so inexpensive why not just do it.

In Toronto Canada a fire alarm company was fined for removing a smoke detector head (equivalent of taking down a light socket) and replaced with same type. The electrical authority fined them for not having a permit.

This has since been modified to allow this work without having to get a permit. But imagine not being able to replace a light socket without a permit.

As another poster mentioned, would this be strictly monitored. Probably not until you burned your home down by doing something silly.

Justin West

A couple of reasons. If the job is minor and the person, even the homeowner, is reasonably competent, there is no need for an inspection and the associated fee for adding a receptacle, changing a fixture, etc.

Watch how much electrical and plumbing supplies are sold on a given day at any Home Dept, Crappy Tire etc. Imagine the amount of paperwork required and the cost of issuing all those permits and making all those inspections. Town hall would be mobbed.

There are times, though, when a person must be saved from themselves. Years ago I was working at a fairly new house. I was doing a door installation but the homeowner was starting to finish the basement. He wired four receptacles using lamp cord! I pointed them out to his wife and I'm hoping it was changed. Yes, there are truly stupid people out there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

BHHAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING PRICELESS!!! THE FOOLS JUST KEEP ON A COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BHHAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T!!!!!!!!! BHAAAWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAW!!!!!!!!!!!1

STOP IT!!!

YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I THOUGHT YOU CANADIAN WANKERS DIDN'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

That was work for hire, totally different thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

According to :

Caution. Most house insurance policies carry exclusions for the consequences of illegal acts. In Canada, violating the electrical code (for example) is an illegal act (provincial level). I assume that it is in some US jurisdictions as well (even if only a bylaw infraction).

In Canada, legal prosecutions for code infractions are _extremely_ rare, and usually only when the consequences were especially severe[+]. Still, insurance companies like avoiding payouts. If a fire is a consequence of unpermitted wiring modifications, you can damn betcha they have incentive to refuse to pay.

Will they? Depends. Do you feel lucky?

If they do, you have to sue. Which, on top of the consequences of a fire is going to be extremely costly. No insurance payout, an unuseable house, and trying to pay a lawyer at the same time.

Not fun.

Do I pull a permit for minor work? No. Because I know _my_ work won't cause problems, and the overall risk is extremely low. But certain things I do pull permits for - not because I can't DIY them (some I do), but because they're more major/critical, and the consequence of foulups is so high.

Furthermore, I make sure that permits are pulled for work that contractors do for me. The permits protect _me_ from shoddy workmanship, which is altogether too common - and a lot more obvious now that I've been watching Holmes on Homes ;-)

[+] Just recently, a local landlord (man and wife) were fined $12K for not providing smoke alarms. While there is a bit more legislation regarding fire alarms than "merely" the Ontario Building Code, the fact that five people died as a result of the fire demonstrates that the govt. is fully capable of enforcing the code thru the courts where "making an example" is necessary. The papers didn't say whether the insurance companies paid for the damage. I somehow doubt it.
Reply to
Chris Lewis