Do I need a new furnace?

Our main living area (kitchen + family room=250sqft) is heated by a 1500w baseboard heater which costs 7.5 cents/hr to run full bore. This area is heated probably 12 hours/day. The living/dining room is heated maybe once per week for 4-5hours by another 1500 watt heater. Bedrooms and rec rooms another total of 10 hours/day. So, I add all this up and get about $2/day in the dead of winter which last about 3 months here. Grand total about $200. My neighbours are paying $1200-1500/yr to heat there entire 2500+sqft homes with gas. Gas prices are approximately $11/GJ or $1/therm and elec is

5cents/KWH. Average winter temps are 40+F.

Now everyone is telling me to get a high efficiency furnace to save money.

Hmmm?

Oh, yes, I do sometimes turn on the furnace for the handful of days it drops below freezing which might cost $100/yr.

Reply to
Rob

Right now you are spot heating and that is saving you money. It is easier to do that with electric than central gas. I prefer to heat my whole house so I pay more. I also save more with gas compared to electric where I live. It sounds like you would not.

I don't recall the factors used to compare gas to electric so I can not comment on that issue.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
05kwh is cheap are you sure that is total cost with taxes etc figured in. .05c kwh is near the cost of Ng. I pay .125c kwh in the midwest. At that price and your minimal run time you may not get a good payback.
Reply to
m Ransley

Dont listen to this webtv puppet. He hasnt a clue about what he speaks. He babbles and rambles on about things he wishes he had a clue about. Reminds me of a tech wannabe that just couldnt cut the mustard. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sounds like you are getting by rather inexpensively now. Factor in the cost of a furnace and the payback will be very long.

Most of the country is paying 11¢ to 15¢ per kW for electric. Ours will be going up 12% to compensate for higher generating cost. Jus curious, where do you live to get that cheap electric?.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you live in an area that doesn't use much natural gas for generation, like we do in Maryland, then electricity is actually cheaper than in most places. Last time I checked BGE was over 80% total combined nuclear and coal. Something like 8% was generated from natural gas and maybe 2% from oil (and I bet that is mostly waste oil from oil changes, etc.).

Reply to
scott_z500

More likely the back up systems kicking in during maintenance or extra high demand.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is Turtle.

Natural gas has went up to a point where Louisiana [ One of the Biggest Natural gas producer states ] is going to Coal fired Electric Generator. With Coal fire generators they can produce it and sell it for $.08 a KWH and Natural gas fire generators it sells for $.10 a KWH . They just built a Coal fired Generator plant in my area about a year ago and started selling the Electricity now for $.08 a KWH and was $.10 a KWH. On top of this the also pay to bring in the Coal from other states to burn. Now it can be switched to Natural gas by just a flip of a switch if the coal trains or the pipe line slug coal mix pumped through the pipe line get held up for some reason. They pump coal through a pipe line now days.

All you fellows in Coal producing state might hold on to the Coal for it maybe going back to coal power for electricity producers for you can send coal through a pipe line just like oil or natural gas.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

On 12/23/2004 2:42 PM US(ET), Rob took fingers to keys, and typed the=20 following:

East Coast - NY - Hydro electric from Niagara Falls and Nuclear Power=20 from Indian Point across the river, .11 per kwh.

--=20 Bill

Reply to
willshak

West coast - Hydro electric

Reply to
Rob

Rebubba , are you on drugs ! Are you realy that stupid? Post some facts if you disagree or are you just a REtard, I think Tard

Reply to
m Ransley

Well Mr Webtv dog shit head. Do you really think I remember the shit that spews from that mellon on top of your neck? Maybe if you knew how to post a follow post with some info in it instead of those two lines above of crap you call words, maybe someone could agree or disagree with you. Unfortunately, a Webtv wizard like you doesnt have enough sense to pour piss out of your own boots. Wipe your chin. You look disgusting! Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

As usual REtardRebuba says nothing. Your loosing it buba. Did you run out of your meds

Reply to
m Ransley

Just more shit oozing out of your head, Mr Webtv boy? Here, I found a product for you:

buy yourself a case of it. Use it ALL. Then you can come back here and join the "normal" people. Until then, stay in "fairyland" where you belong. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba posted for all of us....

Sorta like a glazed donut.

Reply to
Tekkie

Bubba posted for all of us....

He has the whitest teeth we've ever cum upon.

Reply to
Tekkie