Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calcium in well water? (2023 Update)

Depends on how hard the water is. All in all, I prefer a softener to soap scum.

Reply to
dadiOH

Right. At least one feels clean when getting out of the shower.

Reply to
krw

There's a sucker born every minute. They must believe you're one of them........ After you hand over your 6 grand, you'll prove them correct!

Reply to
tangerine3

I couldn't find "fleck valve" on Wikipedia - but the company has an FAQ:

Which is better?

Totally hydraulic for regeneration or the fleck type with an electric timer for regeneration?

Reply to
Arklin K.

Same with me!

Reply to
Arklin K.

I must admit, with 12 to 14ppm calcium hardness in my well water, I've never noticed any 'problem' with the way my water rinses off soap in the shower.

Reply to
Arklin K.

You're the second to recommend the Fleck. The salesman for the Kinetico extolled the virtues of 100% hydraulic - but I like the idea of having the programmed control too.

I have a well. No sewer. Just septic. But it's OK to spill as I can put it over the leach field which has nothing growing over it.

There is no water or sewer utility. It's well and septic. Nobody regulates it (as far as I know).

I like that they have a DIY focus!

Arklin K.

Interesting. I wonder which works better since you had both?

Ah!

Interesting. The salesman didn't mention the noise!

Reply to
Arklin K.

So it looks like it's Fleck vs Kinetico on the DIY front. ..

Reply to
Arklin K.

Well, I'm trying 'not' to be a sucker - which is why I'm asking here.

I first read the suggested web site:

That calculator said I needed 27K Total Grains of Capacity for approximately once per week regeneration with a 24 hr reserve (3,400 daily grains of capacity).

It further said 1.5 is the minimum cubic foot size of softener required for your capacity needs.

Pounds of salt Per Cubic Foot of Resin = 5 Salt dose (total lbs) = 8 Salt Dose Capacity = 27,300 Grains of Capacity PER lb of salt (salt efficiency) = 3,413 Days between regenerations = 8 Gallons between regenerations = 1,950

Reading about the softener sizing chart:

I calculated that my water flow is about 60 gallons per minute at about

70 psi (the psi is from the gauge on the pressure tank back at the wellhouse so it will be lower at the faucet).

This all comes up with:

1.5 cuft using a 6 lb PER cuft (9lb) salt dose generates 30,000 grains (3,333 grains/lb).

Looks like about $700 not including installation & piping.

Reply to
Arklin K.

Well, lets first find out how long you have lived there. If it's been awhile, have you had any of the problems that guy told you?

You said: "He provided a litany of bad things that will happen, from bubbling hot water tanks with a foot of calcium on the bottom to clogged pipes and dirty shower stalls, spotty dishes, dirty clothes, and dirty cars."

That sounds to me like typical scare tactics, which he tells everyone in order to make a sale.

Ok, you can get crud in your hot water tank, which is why you should drain it regularly. Yea, pipes clog, and that depends a lot on the type of pipes you have, with galvanized steel being the worst to clog, copper is much better, and plastics clog the least.

However, I know someone on a city water system who had a whole hot water tank full of calcium crud. The repalcement of that 15 to 20 year old tank cost around $200 for the tank, $40 for parts, and $120 labor. ($360 total). MUCH LESS THAN $6000, (and that tank was old and due to be replaced).

If I recall, you are on a well and septic. Dump that salt water down your septic, and the tank will be shot in a few years. A new septic will cost another $6000 or more. Then there are the health risks. You NEED calcium in water for health. Softened water contains sodium (salt). Bad for the health. You may as well add a 3rd faucet in the kitchen for unsoftened water to drink.

If you dont put that salt water in your septic, you will cause environmental damage whereever it's dumped. Just picture yourself dumping 2 or 3 50 lb bags of rock salt in your yard every couple weeks. Have you noticed what salt does to car bodies in areas where they salt the roads in winter? Now think of that giant pile of salt in your yard. Even 4 bags a month, is 2,400 lbs per year. (over a ton).

You said your only problem is your pool. Are you going to soften all the water entering your pool? You'll need one hell of a big system for that, if the pool is large.

Although I'm retired, I worked as a plumber for years.....

I know all about the water softening biz. There are a lot of water softeners in use that dont need to be there. But they make big money for the softener companies.

OK. for the good part..... You'll be saving some shampoo and laundry soap with soft water, and get better suds. That may save you $20 in a year. You car and dishes wont have spots (I could cares less). Your water heater might last an extra year or two. That could save you $25 in the course of time. And you wont have that nasty calcium in your garden hose, which is hurting nothing. But you may have to replace your shower head more often.

So, yea, you may save $100 a year. Of course the salt is $9 a bag, and at a minimum of 50 bags a year, thats $450. Plus costly septic damage, or environmental yard damage. Then there's the cost of medical care when you become ill from the sodium water and lack of calcium which will have to be replaced by buying calcium tablets. Not to mention the initial cost of $6000, or $700 if you buy the materials, plus labor.

People have been drinking natural water since the beginning of time. Enjoy it!!!!

I have a well, and it has iron and calcium, and other minerals, and it tastes great. I dont do anything to it.

If anything, I think you need to buy some better filters or equipment for your pool, but I wont get into that, since I know nothing about pools. I'd much rather swim in a river of lake, which is not loaded with chlorine and chemicals, but probably has calcium and minerals....

If I was you, I'd investigate better (whatever) for your pool, spend some of that $6 on the pool, save $500 of that money for eventual water heater and shower head replacements, and use the rest of the money for a nice vacation.

Reply to
tangerine3

Lowes is currently selling the Whirlpool 40000-Grain Water Softener for $497.

Mine is about 6 years old and I've not had any problems with it.

Reply to
Norm A. Brams

Beats me. I can see a minor advantage to basing regeneration on the amount of water actually used but have no idea as to what could go out of whack in the metering. All in all, I like Thoreau's axiom of, "Simplify, simplify".

Reply to
dadiOH

So does that mean the Fleck 5600SE regenerates on gallons or on time?

That is, does it assume, say, 60 gallons/day/person and then regenerate when that calculation reaches 800 gallons (whether or not 800 gallons were actually used) ... or does it actually count gallons?

I don't know if it matters - but I'm trying to figure this new Fleck thing out.

Thanks,

Reply to
Arklin K.

The 'only' problems I've had are the white stuff in the hose and the bubbling of the hot water heater and the white stuff on the bottom of the kitchen pot and the specks of 'sand' on the bottom of cups where water is left in them to sit.

None of those really bother me (except maybe if I'm ruining my hot water heater - although I read the post that said calcium is good for the hot water heater).

Plus the pool has white sandy stuff on it but pool water needs calcium.

Agreed. Out here, you can't get a decent gas hot water tank for less than about $600 to $800 or so (IIRC) as I replaced one a few years back (bought the best I could find at OSH which was the major cost since I did it myself - and had to also pay for the permit which ended up being a waste of money).

This house has two of them hooked in series - so it's twice that if they fail. I see I should be emptying them yearly! I never touched them!

The salesman said I should just dump it outside with a long hose.

Hmmm... ok. This is not a good thing, I agree.

While the pool is a problem, the salesman said we don't soften pool water which is filled from the outside hoses.

You make a good case AGAINST water softeners. Very good case! I appreciate the other side of the story. Very much so!

Reply to
Arklin K.

Looks nice:

40000-Grain Water Softener

Ideal for households of 1-5 people Maximum water hardness of 125 gpg Clear water (ferrous) iron removal of 10 ppm Demand initiated regeneration with salt saving technology Super high flow rate - up to 1-1/4" super high flow valve Only recharges when necessary, saving salt and water Control display features: demand initiated regeneration, water flow indicator and low salt indicator Space saving single tank design Warranty: 1-year full parts and labor, 3-year limited electronics, 10-year limited tanks

Reply to
Arklin K.

Ah. I see. I'd put the Fleck valve on "Meter Immediate" and it would regenerate at 800 gallons using the second tank during that time.

Reply to
Arklin K.

Oh. OK. I guess it regenerates from one tank at night when nobody is using the water.

Reply to
Arklin K.

If you're getting specks of sand, you might have the pump too low in the well (too close to the bottom). This could be due to poor installation, or the well might be accumulating sand (filling up) due to the way the ground water is entering it. For example, my well is 300 ft deep, the pump is at 280 ft. If you're pump is only a few feet from the bottom, you will be sucking sand. BAD FOR THE PUMP TOO!

I'd have the well inspected by a professional well company before doing anything else. If you have any data about the well from when the pump was installed, it should say the depth. Normally they write this on the manual that came with the pump and give it to the homeowner. If you know that, you can actually measure the well depth with a weight attached to a string.

Seeing the picture, I sure would not worry about that... If anything, it provides a slip free surface. You'd be stepping on sand in a lake!!!

In your case, I'd empty and flush them TWICE a year or more often. You must use a lot of hot water to need two tanks. Did you say you're in Florida? Or did I confuse this with another post on here? If you are in FL, you should rig up a Solar Pre-heater for your hot water. Basically a storage tank painted black and placed in the sun, with piping from the cold water to the input of the hot water tank(s).

I'm in a northern climate and I made one. Saved a lot of money in fuel. Except up here I have to constantly be on alert in late fall and early spring, or the pipes freeze during cold snaps. And of course it cant be used in winter. You can buy commercial units, or you cna make them from odds and ends. I built mine from recycled materials. Cost me less than $100.

Basically it's a flat black tank (BBQ grill paint), placed inside of a glass enclosure (2 old storm windows in the shape of a V, with plywood ends). The rest is just piping, and a ONE WAY valve to prevent heated water going backward into the cold water system. I have mine in the backyard in a sunny location. It sits on the lawn on top of some concrete blocks with plywood across them. (some people put them on their roofs).

Note: (You want FLAT black, not glossy paint, glossy will reflect some of the heat away).

Reply to
tangerine3

Unless it has a second tank. Larger systems than cannot be down for any length of time will have two tanks and switch between them as one regenerates.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski