Do you notice anything different about your water (ie.
I also had a well and we used a local water testing company every year.
They gave us a vial to fill with some simple intstructions. We filled
and ran the sample over to them. In a week or so we got a report.
If there's nothing wrong with the water then there's no need to do
Its not going to hurt, though to do it right you should not use the well for
over 24 hours.
We had an issue with our well with coliform and shocked it over 26 times in
a 8 month period. Anywhere from a gallon to 4 gallons of water (we were at
I'd say if you are going away for a few days give it a treatment. Otherwise
only do it if you suspect there is an issue. There are many local labs that
do water testing. The one that shocking will take care of is just the
bacteria test. The Quantitative Bacteria test for us was about $45 at the
local lab. Quantitative told us how much of the bacteria is present. Better
then just a Yah, or Nah. You can get your water fully tested for several
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.