DIY dog repellant

I am looking for a diy project to protect myself against "rogue" dogs.

I was bitten by a dog while bike riding.

The dog bit thru some blue jeans and drew blood.

I live in a apartment and aggressive dogs are a low priority.

How can I make some dog propellant that I can spray on rogue dogs.

I have some ground red pepper.

Reply to
AK

AK wrote on 12/25/2022 3:21 AM:

Bear spray is recommended.

If you want to do it yourself, then rig an air valve to the bottom of a small fire extinguisher so that you can pressurize it with an air pump. Use an empty fire extinguisher if you already have one. Unscrew the top assemble from the body so you can access the inside of the bottle. The bottom of the fire extinguisher is usually concave, so the nipple of the air valve will be in a recessed area and the fire extinguisher will still be able to sit upright on a level surface.

Fill the fire extinguisher with pure isopropyl alcohol and then re-pressurize it. Normal pressure is 100 PSI for household fire extinguishers. The alcohol itself is enough to irritate the eyes and airways of the animal. You may want to add Tabasco sauce for the animal to remember the experience better. You can add a lighter if you feel extra nasty.

I deny any liability for posting this. I am drunk on eggnog.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Letter carriers are issued a little aerosol spray to help deter nasty dogs. It's small and light weight and long-lasting and quite effective - some have a little holster that can be clipped to your bike or wrist or pocket or wherever for quick and easy access ..

- by all means feel free to experiment with your DIY inventions. When you devise something better - patent it and get rich !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Years ago in my cycling days I bought a pepper spray that was quite effective. It would stop any dog in its tracks without harming it. Any pepper spray would work.

Reply to
Frank

Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ wrote on 12/25/2022 11:24 AM:

I've altered "isopropyl alcohol" to "methanol".  Isopropyl alcohol is used in hand sanitizers, or alcohol swab on your arm before they give you the needle. which is quite expensive. Methanol is a lot cheaper. It is sold in hardware stores as "fuel line antifreeze".

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Pouring a bottle of ammonia on the dog discourages him. I haven't had the problem in a long time but I uses to carry a bottle with a snap top for easy deployment.

The last time I was chased I had a talk with the dog's owner. In this state shooting a free-running dog chasing game, livestock, or you is legal.

Reply to
rbowman

And is poisonous... There are two flavors of HEET in the US. The yellow bottle it methanol, the red is isopropyl. The distinction is important for alcohol camping stove. Isopropyl doesn't burn as well and it sooty.

Reply to
rbowman

Nothing works except not riding past them.

Nothing works except not riding past them.

Has no effect on tje worst dogs.

Reply to
chop

Practically anything will work as if the dog encounters a spray of mist of something it could deter him. When I used pepper spray it worked

100% of the time. I had started off with tear gas which will stop a person and a dog but in fact does not bother the dog. Apparently it was just the mist that stopped them.
Reply to
Frank