Disposing Unused Paint...

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.

-Chris

Reply to
C.Swartz

yes. Or, you could sell them at a garage sale.

Reply to
Phisherman

Around here most communities have a hazardous waste depot and that's where you take paint

Reply to
Alan McKay

For those things, our trash company has amnesty days where you can take them ANYTHING (except a dead body), and they will dispose of it. The nasty stuff like acetone, MEK, and that sort of stuff. I think they get federal $$$ for doing it, but we do get to drop the stuff off for free. Only downside is that you have to take it to their location. Call 'em.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, if it's latex. If it's oil based paint your hazardous material disposal site should take it in liquid form.

RB

C.Swartz wrote:

Reply to
RB

Around here the hazardous waste disposal sites will only accept paints that are in fact HAZARDOUS, water based paints are not accepted and you are advised to let them evaporate and let them be collected with your household waste (garbage).

Reply to
avoidspam

You can try selling it or donating the paint to a community project. Yes, it will dry over time. You may do better pouring some over old newspapers to dry as a quart will take a very long time. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

wrap them up like presents and put them on the back of your car like you forgot to get them when getting out.. they will disappear real quick..

Reply to
jim

Kinda silly on their part- around here they decant the latex paint into big barrels (when you mix multi-colors of latex, you get beige, no matter what colors you start with), and use it on park restroom interiors and such that basically have to be repainted several times a year to cover grafitti.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Hiya hoss.

Quarts? Not gallons?

Earth Day is coming up. Round these parts (Metro DC) the counties have an organized "hazmat drop-off" day in honor of the occasion.. Not just for hazmat materials but anything construction related, esp. paint.

True hazmat (lead paint, banned pesticides , solvents, etc) goes into the decon stream. Building materials which are reusable go into the reuse/remanufacture stream.

So before you dry/toss check out your local options.

If you must dry and trash the paint, non-clumping kitty litter is recommended to speed the process.

Best,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

of. They are

paint eventually

dried out.

What is the life span of paint? I also have over a gallon of Poly left over. THere is a copule of small rooms I plan to poly this summer. I kept the paint in hte original container with lid closed real tight. Am I an any danger?

pac

Reply to
PacKat

Danger? Not at all. I've had poly for a couple of years and it worked ok when I used it again. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can either listen to the fine folks here or just jump to

info on getting rid of stuff like this in your local area.

Found the home link on the wooden paint-mixing sticks they give out at Home Depot, BTW.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

The local recycling place sells off the recycled latex paint in 5-gal buckets.

Good for priming new drywall before the real paint

Reply to
John Hines

Contact your local school and ask for the art department or teacher. I bet it will be put to good use.

They are

eventually

out.

Reply to