Reply to
G. Morgan

For almost a big box of detergent now I've used the following combination of procedures with flawless results.

#1. Mixed ONE CUP of TSP with a 75 oz box of Great value power from wal-mart

#2. only fill the cups in the DW about half full

#3. Add one cup of white vinegar to each load

#4. set the dw to "heated wash" even though i run my water heater at 140 and it's about 10 feet away.

I mixed the TSP with the entire contents of powder in a large bowl, with a large serving spoon, then cut a cross shaped slit in the top of the detergent box, and put it back in with a kitchen funnel. The box can then still be used as designed.

Reply to
Steve Barker

ok, where do you get this proposed "STPP" ?

Reply to
Steve Barker

If it left a residue, it's not likely they would shine. And THAT is what we've been missing. Shine.

Reply to
Steve Barker

There's someone on eBay selling 10lb bags of the stuff for about $40 including shipping. This place also has it for about the same price:

The problem with any heavy bulk material like this is that the shipping costs for small amounts really drive the cost up.

Have no idea how reputable either source is, of course.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Did some further research. It looks like both TSP and STPP have been used as binders for dishwashing and clothes detergent. STPP is a complex phosphate that has lower alkalinity and some other beneficial properties that made it the preferred choice in recent years.

Reply to
Robert Neville

I did a test load yesterday with about a half a tablespoon of TSP in addition to the regular dishwashing stuff. The one thing that was different was that baked on chocolate cake residue that previously had to be scrubbed off by hand after the dishwasher failed to remove it was almost totally gone.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Did some further research. It looks like both TSP and STPP have been used as binders for dishwashing and clothes detergent. STPP is a complex phosphate that has lower alkalinity and some other beneficial properties that made it the preferred choice in recent years. ==================

And apparently also can be bought in food grade. TSP sales are illegal here, so I figure as long as I have to order it I might as well get the most appropriate thing.

Reply to
Nelly

where is "here" ?

Reply to