Dishwasher motor rusty and noisy

Our 15 year old Kenmore DW motor is noisy, sounds like a bad bearing but still runs. I checked it out and there is a slight water leak that is dripping on the motor and it is quite rusty. I can't tell where the leak is originating. Is there a seal between the motor and tub? Is this worth fixing? I can get a used motor for $40.

Reply to
Martik

Martik wrote in news:pan.2004.01.10.04.28.38.926836 @telus.net:

It's time for a new dishwasher. At 15 years and with a leak and rusty motor, more problems are probably ahead.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Hi,

No model# posted, but most motor bearing damage is a result of the pump assy seals failing and water has gotten into the motor itself....may mean new motor and pump assy time....or a new motor and new seal-impellor kit ta min.

If the racks are not rusty and the rest of the d/w is still in good shape the repair may be worth while and cheaper than a new d/w.

Often the soap and water will leave a staining, you may be able to follow this mark/markings to the water leak source.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

If water is getting directly onto the motor shaft, the bearings are likely worn and causing the noise in which case the motor needs to be replaced to silence it.

If it is leaking right on to the motor shaft, chances are the pump impeller seals are leaking.

Usually but depends on the exact model number of the dishwasher you have. In most cases that may allow water to drip into the motor housing but not right on its shaft (depending on dishwasher design).

If the rest of the dishwasher is in decent shape (racks, tub and inner door not rusting), it might still be worthwhile to repair.

You've already got a used motor!

If you're going to do such an extensive repair, replace the motor (and pump impeller and seal kit) with new ones. Do the job once and do it right!

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Get a new one.

You'll save in electric alone the first year or so.

I can buy a new Maytag for $280 so I'm not going to bother fixing it at a cost of $100 and no guarantees. (used motor,seal kit etc) Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Martik